Corn Syrup in Glaze?

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

For those of you that use a glaze w/ corn syrup for your turn-ins, have you considered substituting something like Lyles Golden Syrup for the corn syrup for a more 'natural' flavor?

Also, has anyone used granular cane palm sugar for their rubs? I like the flavor and the high burn temp, but I can only get it in the small round bricks here and they are a pain in the butt to break down.

Thanks!

Eric

The first question is rather difficult to answer. I can personally think of at least five products that I would call "corn syrup" without further description, and most of them are vastly different from the others. Lyle's Golden Syrup is a brand name of treacle, which really just means poisonous antidote, but in the modern world generally refers to one of various forms of what some Americans call molasses. To other Americans, molasses has several different defintions ranging from honey, to the modern treacle, to any sweet syrup. It really comes down to glucose, fructose, sucrose, and non-sugar components. I would say that Lyle's has a taste simlar to honey mixed with brown sugar. The flavour differneces come down to the non-sacharides included.

Palm sugar includes simlar sacharides, but different non-sacharides. Personally, I've never used granulated pam sugar. It's always been a "cream" or "cone" from what I've used, and I presume it's based on the chemical properties of the saps from whence it comes.

My personal opininion is that between the monosacharides glucose and sucrose (and to a lesser extent, galactose) and the polysacharides that they can form (mainly sucrose) there is little discernable difference in flavour. There are incredible chemical differences to be considered, but the main flavour differences you seek are in the non-sugars included.

I'm sorry if this isn't quite what you wanted to know, but it really just depends. So you know, this really is "the short answer" from me on the topic. If you couldn't tell, sugar is something I think about a lot, and I would love to spend a year or two researching it. Unfortunately, I currently work on the animal side....:( To give a little bit more detailed answer, I would never use Lyle's instead of "corn syrup." Lyles is more of a light invert syrup, which I could replicate much more affordably without buying a UK product. Date or palm sugar is cool, but personally, I have found non Asian sacharide sources wich are less expensive and provide a similar flavour profile. YMMV.

dmp

Dude!

The first question is rather difficult to answer. I can personally think of at least five products that I would call "corn syrup" without further description, and most of them are vastly different from the others. Lyle's Golden Syrup is a brand name of treacle, which really just means poisonous antidote, but in the modern world generally refers to one of various forms of what some Americans call molasses. To other Americans, molasses has several different defintions ranging from honey, to the modern treacle, to any sweet syrup. It really comes down to glucose, fructose, sucrose, and non-sugar components. I would say that Lyle's has a taste simlar to honey mixed with brown sugar. The flavour differneces come down to the non-sacharides included.

Palm sugar includes simlar sacharides, but different non-sacharides. Personally, I've never used granulated pam sugar. It's always been a "cream" or "cone" from what I've used, and I presume it's based on the chemical properties of the saps from whence it comes.

My personal opininion is that between the monosacharides glucose and sucrose (and to a lesser extent, galactose) and the polysacharides that they can form (mainly sucrose) there is little discernable difference in flavour. There are incredible chemical differences to be considered, but the main flavour differences you seek are in the non-sugars included.

I'm sorry if this isn't quite what you wanted to know, but it really just depends. So you know, this really is "the short answer" from me on the topic. If you couldn't tell, sugar is something I think about a lot, and I would love to spend a year or two researching it. Unfortunately, I currently work on the animal side....:( To give a little bit more detailed answer, I would never use Lyle's instead of "corn syrup." Lyles is more of a light invert syrup, which I could replicate much more affordably without buying a UK product. Date or palm sugar is cool, but personally, I have found non Asian sacharide sources wich are less expensive and provide a similar flavour profile. YMMV.

dmp

Your a fountain of sweet knowledge!

Happy New Year Eric! I wish I could answer but I use the Slab's Amazing Glaze Que Shine and Bone Polish. We don't make our own glaze.

Back