What is the best smoker for less than $500

This is a common question and here is my common answer. 8)

How much food do you want to cook at one time?
Do you want the "romance" of tending a fire? Or...
Do you want to get some rest while the meat is cooking?
How experienced are you with smoking/grilling/BBQing?
Are you mechanically inclined enough to build a UDS?

Start with all of that, and someone will give you an informed opinion, not just an endorsement of their favorite cooker 8)

TIM

WSM

No shelves, no wheels, no handles, no place to put the lid, non insulated, gets hot on the outside, no ash pan, difficult to add wood chips during a cook, difficult access to meat on the lower rack, not good for grilling, flimsy door, primative vents, leaks air, possible fire hazard, burns fuel like its free, overpriced.

Other than that..it's all good.

It is insulated, it has a porcelain coating. The access door makes it very easy to add wood chips during cooking. Possible firehazard, wouldnt all smokers fall in the category if handled incorrectly?

Theres some real hate you have for the WSM huh? Or just hate in general you seem to blast everything that you arent personally using.

WSM

No shelves, no wheels, no handles, no place to put the lid, non insulated, gets hot on the outside, no ash pan, difficult to add wood chips during a cook, difficult access to meat on the lower rack, not good for grilling, flimsy door, primative vents, leaks air, possible fire hazard, burns fuel like its free, overpriced.

You can add shelves, wheels and handles easily. Easy to add wood and charcoal if needed. Nothing to get 14+ hours out of a load unless it's windy but you can work around it.

Last I checked all smokers and grills are fire hazards. If you don't like something that's fine but make sure you say that you don't like. I can nitpick on any and all smokers.

All that being said what's your choice?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Can't say "best" but my wsm is an amazing bbq pit that is very easy to crank out amazing bbq food and falls within your price range.

PBC is really good but its new to me; I've only cooked on it twice so far (so I have a lot more great cooks on the wsm, very happy with it).

A Big Steel Keg.
You can smoke sub 200f if you want, make ASTOUNDING PIZZA IN 2 minutes, roast, grill perfect steaks, and do all the BBQ a family can eat and more.
Amazing insulation for any weather.
Did you mention bacon yet?:grin:

For clarification, I have a 18.5 " WSM, and a Char-Grill COS. I am looking for something to expand my capacity to more than the WSM can do alone. I have thought about another WSM or Char-Grill Kamado (>$300 on Amazon). Just thinking I might like something other than another WSM.

I started on a WSM and have made 3 UDSs. Both are great.

UDS wins on cook time, cost, and if you like the dry heat.
WSM wins on portability, simplicity (you just buy it!), and if you like wet heat

Honestly I'm pretty sure you can cook on anything as long as you can control your temp well. Many people use a kettle and do well. Best of luck!

For clarification, I have a 18.5 " WSM, and a Char-Grill COS. I am looking for something to expand my capacity to more than the WSM can do alone. I have thought about another WSM or Char-Grill Kamado (>$300 on Amazon). Just thinking I might like something other than another WSM.

you should edit your 1st post

the best for under $500? mine!

and i will sell it to you for $499.98 plus shipping!

oh, it's a drum but on a nice cart with a side table and stainless gear.

I know this won't help you, but the best smoker for under $500 is undoubtedly the Lang 48 I got off Craigslist for a mere $400!

So that's my suggestion, check out Craigs List for a used unit, get what you want and save some $ too!

well since my post was deleted I will sum up with...

WSM or UDS
Something tells me there is more than meets the eye with the sudden intense adoration of the PBC around here.

wsm

WSM

No shelves, no wheels, no handles, no place to put the lid, non insulated, gets hot on the outside, no ash pan, difficult to add wood chunks during a cook, difficult access to meat on the lower rack, not good for grilling, flimsy door, primative vents, leaks air, possible fire hazard, burns fuel like its free, overpriced.

Are you the guy that makes PBC's?

My $.02

IMO a well thought out UDS it miles ahead of a wsm. Gotta have the weber lid though.

Chargriller Akorn.

I smokeda brisket for 11 hrs on mine Monday.....reusing the same coals right now to cook sweet potatoes & steaks.

$299 for the grill plus you'll need their Smoking Stone and cover.

Best money I've ever spent.......in my life. Versatile and affordable.

My wife thinks I'm a genius with the wide ranging excellent food I've been turning out.

Back