• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question??-Philly Cheese Steak

Just read this thread and now cheesesteaks are on the menu for later this week

I have never seen anyone eat Whiz on a cheese steak. Ever.

Last time I was in Philly, I had one with American, one with Provolone, and one with Wiz.

2 out of three ain't bad. It was like the White Castle of Philly Cheese steaks.

I would not kick this sandwich outta bed, I don't care if the bread was even stale.

hsrigz.jpg

Gotta get the amoroso rolls, you have to. My wife is a cheese wiz girl and I'm a provolone guy, load it up with onions and peppers. Now if you want the best sub, for me its hands down a Bobbie from Capriottis but thats a different subject.

Gotta get the amoroso rolls, you have to. My wife is a cheese wiz girl and I'm a provolone guy, load it up with onions and peppers. Now if you want the best sub, for me its hands down a Bobbie from Capriottis but thats a different subject.

I'll have to look up Amoroso rolls on The Fresh Loaf http://thefreshloaf.com

.. and then make them at home fresh :)

EDIT: Hrm thought they were a type of roll.. looks like it's a brand lol. Show's how much I know about them.

Use some thinly sliced ribeye, provolone, caramelized onions, bell pepper & mushrooms .. mmm mmm mmmmm.

If you live in the Mid-Atlantic you can get Amoroso rolls at any Wawa but ordering them at the sandwich counter. If not, you can get a sub, hoagie or hero roll. It should be a somewhat soft, white-flour based roll. The next step with any of the rolls, including Amorosos, is to put them in an oven at 375 for 5-10 minutes to slightly crisp the outside. A convection oven is even faster. The key is an ever so slight crunch on the outside and completely soft inside.

BBQGeekess, I am starting to think we are long lost relatives or soul mates. We think too much a like. :wink:

Only thing I would do differently on that sandwich is sub some jalapeno's for the bell peppers...

If you live in the Mid-Atlantic you can get Amoroso rolls at any Wawa but ordering them at the sandwich counter. If not, you can get a sub, hoagie or hero roll. It should be a somewhat soft, white-flour based roll. The next step with any of the rolls, including Amorosos, is to put them in an oven at 375 for 5-10 minutes to slightly crisp the outside. A convection oven is even faster. The key is an ever so slight crunch on the outside and completely soft inside.

Hrm. I don't live in that area. I just asked my friends on The Fresh Loaf what the best homemade bread would be for a Philly Cheesesteak sammich. I'll find out, bake a loaf, make the sandwich.. then share with ya all later with photos.

Just read this thread and now cheesesteaks are on the menu for later this week

Just polished off dinner. So later in the week meant the next day.

Not authentic by any means

Venison steak thinly sliced, provolone cheese, peppers, mushrooms, onions on a french roll. Tasted superb and went fast enough there was no pictures

Just polished off dinner. So later in the week meant the next day.

Not authentic by any means

Venison steak thinly sliced, provolone cheese, peppers, mushrooms, onions on a french roll. Tasted superb and went fast enough there was no pictures

Wish I could run across a hunter that would sell me venison on the cheap if I help him/her process it with grinder, cure etc. :)

If I'm eating a genos or pats type steak which is sliced rib eye I am getting provolone..
If it's a chopped type steak like Jim's serves I'm ordering wiz...
A cheesesteak is the only time I will ever eat cheese wiz. There are many, many places that make great cheesesteaks in Philly and each is just a little different.

Pats style:

Jim's style:

Now some places use a cheese sauce blend of american and sharp cheese much like chickie and Pete's does with their fries. Steve's prince of steak is one that comes to mind so even though it's a sliced steak I go with the american cheese as it's a really good sauce not just slices of cheese.

If I'm eating a genos or pats type steak which is sliced rib eye I am getting provolone..
If it's a chopped type steak like Jim's serves I'm ordering wiz...
A cheesesteak is the only time I will ever eat cheese wiz. There are many, many places that make great cheesesteaks in Philly and each is just a little different.

Pats style:

Jim's style:

Now some places use a cheese sauce blend of american and sharp cheese much like chickie and Pete's does with their fries. Steve's prince of steak is one that comes to mind so even though it's a sliced steak I go with the american cheese as it's a really good sauce not just slices of cheese.

That second one looks GREAT!

The first was done for a promo photo or something. They are usually dripping with grease and you have to do the philly lean to keep it off your shirt...also the onions look almost raw. They always have a big pile of diced onions on the griddle never raw.

Lived in philly my whole life and can't imagine no good cheesesteaks.

1.) What make the magical PA Italian Hoagie roll, whomever you choose as the bakery and several were mentioned, so good? What's the magic? Most of these places don't ship and freshness seems to be a crucial key. I have access to some great hoagie rolls here and can get them fresh that day. What's the consensus on that? I was thinking 7"-8" rolls.
I have always heard it is the water... who knows?

2.) When slicing the rib-eye I'm assuming across the grain and remove all of the outside fat before trimming. I would think a good marbled rib-eye would work fine. So am I on track with the trimming? Also I thought about 3/4 lb of meat per sammie.
We used to slice our beef when it was just a little frozen - on a huge automatic slicer that could take your arm off if you weren't careful. I don't recall it being trimmed to within an inch of it's life, but also don't recall a lot of exterior fat. It was sliced paper thin - which is the only way to go...

Philly cheesesteaks aren't really fatty,I don't know if it's trimmed off or what the story is. As for the bread I always heard it was a combo of water and altitude.
Some say the submarine sandwich got it's name in Atlantic city because the bread was baked below sea level.
I say it has to be the water. Lots of places in the philly area that make homemade mozzarella import water from different areas of Philly and New York so maybe the same goes for bread. Kinda like bagels from NYC, same thing.

Back