UDS Chuck Roast (pron) Shredded Beef!

Joe Steel

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I recently had the luxury of time on my hands and set out to smoke some beef! This is my second attempt at a chuckie on the UDS, and both have finished similarly fine in similar time frames, so -- I'm calling this a formula that works (for me at least).
~ 4 lb 7-bone Chuck Roast
e1d5d96f.jpg

Getting the drum to chug along at about 220-260
0bc026d6.jpg

Seasoned up the meat a bit
f48c4a4e.jpg

After about 4 hrs in the 220-260 range it's wrapped in foil and sent back out to the heat (internal temp was probably near 160 at this point)
c00d0711.jpg

After another 2:45 (So, 6:45 total) the probe goes in like butter (internal temp ~200). Let the meat rest a bit (20 min. still in foil), and shreds with ease.
2825c102.jpg

Some nice rolls from the bakery, a slice of red onion, and a little mayo.
So good!
25c7fec9.jpg

Cheers my BBQ Brothers!

WHY have I not done this yet?

Looks great! :clap:

Looks great. Did you add any liquid to the foil when wrapping?

That looks farking delicious! Ditto on the "why haven't I done this yet?".....We usually do our chuckies in a cast iron dutch oven for 6 hrs @ 250 degrees, browned with olive oil and french onion soup mix first. But all of this smoked chuckie prOn is KILLING me! We get a TON of roasts back from the butcher when we take in a steer, and it's high time for a new recipe. Thanks for giving the final nudge with these great pics! Heading to the freezer NOW!!!!!!

Looks great Pulled Chucky is some amazing stuff, I do it quite often, now that you hungry I hope your happy:mmph:

Is that montreal seasoning all that you put on it? It almost looks barky in the one pic....

That beef looks mighty fine!

For anyone who hasn't tried pulled chuck, ya gotta put it on your to do list. My favorite thing to BBQ.

I'll tell ya that 5th pic of it shredded in the plastic bowl is absolutely beautiful!

Do you (or other people reading this with alot of smoked chuckies under their belt, ha that sounds kinda funny!!) usually use a water pan or dry diffuser on chuck?

I cook mine straight up, no foil, diffuser, mop, spritz, nothing. Just a straight cook starting at 250 for first hour, then cranking up heat to 300ish till probe tender. They sort of look like meteorites coming off the cooker, but the flavor of the bark and beef is heavenly.

NYEChukie001.jpg

NYEChukie002.jpg

That is a thing of beauty. I like to saute up some hatch chiles (I'm down to my last vacusack) and onions, make a nice nutty roux, add some stock, season to taste, and simmer for about an hour. Heaven on earth.

Joe Steel, awesome job on your chuck roast it looks delicious.:grin: I love chucks the flavor is amazing, nicely done my man.:grin:

Do you (or other people reading this with alot of smoked chuckies under their belt, ha that sounds kinda funny!!) usually use a water pan or dry diffuser on chuck?
No water or diffuser in my UDS

Joe Steel, awesome job on your chuck roast it looks delicious.:grin: I love chucks the flavor is amazing, nicely done my man.:grin:
Thanks my brother!

I haven't had much success without using liquid. I let it get to about 140 in a dry pan then add liquid such as broth or cola to it and cover it with foil. Comes out perfectly moist this way. Let it rest and two forks to it.

Back