The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Fixing to do a simple overnight pork butt on the Mak. I made a batch of Jeff Phillips bbq rub. It really is an awesome rub and puts a beautiful color on the meat

Attachments

• 87E2264C-8403-4FC4-B796-F6807138F779.jpg
    87E2264C-8403-4FC4-B796-F6807138F779.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 306
I'm looking for a little advice. I may be in the market for a new Pellet grill. I have other smokers and grills so I'm just looking to add another to the mix and not really replace anything. I get 40% off from Camp Chef and 25% off from Traeger so I'd like to keep it within those two brands if possible. That said, with a budget of under $1000 if there was something else out there that was light years better I may be interested. I know Traeger has their issues as I'm sure CC does as well but this isn't going to a primary source of cooking.

I'm very happy with the Rec Tec Stampede. I haven't needed customer service but my husband's boss has had his a few years and had a couple of issues which Rec Tec handled very promptly. He raves on the customer service.

I'm looking very hard at a Grilla Grills Silverback Alpha. $799, double walled construction, 2 settings for the controller and unbelievable customer service.
I don't think their pid mode is true pid.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I’m torn on this too. I really want a MAK 2 but I wish it had open flame grilling like the Yoder. The Yoder looks good to me now that they’ve improved their controller. It’s just their rust issues that worry me. Memphis looks good but it’s expensive. The new Twin Eagles pellet looks like it’s the most flexible but it’s very expensive.

From what I read you have to adjust the feed rate on the controller to get desired results like the p settings on a pit boss. Shouldn't a pid controller eliminate that?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I would imagine it's meant to.

Their website states the new Alpha Smoke Dual Controller technology... So from what they are saying, it’s two controllers in one. One setup is a true PID controller for tight temp control, 5 degree temp adjustments and the Classic setup for those who may want a little extra smoke for their bbq. It says nothing about the Enduser manually adjusting feed rates or having to make adjustments.

https://grillagrills.com/pid-controllers/

Now, if there’s any factual info out there that says otherwise, please share. That’s a lot of money to spend if what they are stating is not true.

I hope it is ok to create this, not sure if there is a thread on pellets yet, but lots of questions lately and be nice to have a place to discuss the grills without having to start a new thread everyday. Lets get it started!!

Had two racks in the fridge I was going to freeze and decided to do some ribs and chicken tonight. Did one rubbed in Oakridge Dominator and one with Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. So far so good, they are looking fantastic. Did them in Hickory and Cherry and a few handfuls of mystery pellets I had in a brown bag? Think they were competition blend. Did them at 275 for 5 hours on my Wood Wind. Just some chicken breast and rubbed in some stuff from a local guy here that does hot sauces. It is called Hanks sauce. Good stuff. He is doing rubs now. Will find out in a bit how it is.

What your view of the MAK vs the WW? I almost got the WWSG 24 but changed & ordered a Yoder instead

I’m torn on this too. I really want a MAK 2 but I wish it had open flame grilling like the Yoder. The Yoder looks good to me now that they’ve improved their controller. It’s just their rust issues that worry me. Memphis looks good but it’s expensive. The new Twin Eagles pellet looks like it’s the most flexible but it’s very expensive.

Just go for the Yoder YS640S!

Their website states the new Alpha Smoke Dual Controller technology... So from what they are saying, it’s two controllers in one. One setup is a true PID controller for tight temp control, 5 degree temp adjustments and the Classic setup for those who may want a little extra smoke for their bbq. It says nothing about the Enduser manually adjusting feed rates or having to make adjustments.

https://grillagrills.com/pid-controllers/

Now, if there’s any factual info out there that says otherwise, please share. That’s a lot of money to spend if what they are stating is not true.

I follow the Grilla facebook group and in "pid" you have to adjust the feed rate.

I follow the Grilla facebook group and in "pid" you have to adjust the feed rate.

If You can... Can you copy and paste that info here, especially if it’s documentation directly from Grilla Grills. Any direct info is very helpful for potential buyers. Thanks.

Just took a snip from grilla's website.

What I'm gathering from this is that one does not necessarily "have" to make changes to the PID settings, but if they want or need to, based upon ambient temperatures, then they can.

You could own the grill and never touch the aforementioned settings.

You can adjust the minimum feed rate, if desired, on the Rec Tec's PID controller as well.

What I'm gathering from this is that one does not necessarily "have" to make changes to the PID settings, but if they want or need to, based upon ambient temperatures, then they can.

You could own the grill and never touch the aforementioned settings.

You can adjust the minimum feed rate, if desired, on the Rec Tec's PID controller as well.

From what i've seen people are having crazy temp swings even in the pid mode.

I was on the Dicks Sporting Goods page the other day and saw that they were running a deal of $10 off of $50 up to 3x and free shipping on $49+. I ended up ordering 9 bags of Lumberjack to try out different flavors.

7 bags were $14.99 and 2 were $24.99 each. All were 20 lbs.

I bought 100% Oak, 100% Hickory, 100% Cherry, 100% Maple, 100% Pecan, 100% Apple, Competition Blend, Supreme Blend, and Sweetwood blend.

They ended up shipping them to me ground in 9 different boxes, so they didn't make out very well on shipping IMO.

Total price ended up at $125 after discount. Did I get a good deal?

My local BBQ dealer sells Lumberjack for $14.99 and they are never on sale (will only use in case of emergency). If you have a Rural King https://www.ruralking.com/ near you (I found one about an hour away) they typically sell lumberjack for $8.88 and some flavors are on sale for $4.99. Also check out BBQ Pellets online for group buys on Lumberjack. You can save a ton of money!

Back