• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

***Vote! BBQ Brethren "Food Truck Feast" Throwdown - Vote!!!

***Vote! BBQ Brethren "Food Truck Feast" Throwdown - Vote!!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
It is time to decide the winner of the BBQ Brethren "Food Truck Feast" Throwdown!

The winner will be announced after the poll closes on Monday, August 19th.

Click HERE to go to the Throwdown thread, or click on the person's name or picture for more pics/info on the entries.

emtnate

LYU370

lunchman

Stingerhook

Last edited:
Well here are five food trucks I want to visit.

Radrob had me the second I saw an awesome burger with no sesame seeds (anaphylaxis sucks, but that burger does not).

Moderator's Note

I see a hard plate...

Tom, thanks for noticing this! I'm assuming you are referring to Radrob's entry in this Throwdown:

100-5234.jpg

The Category description reads:

Emphasis is placed on the serving method. No fine china or glassware is permitted!

It would appear that Radrob's entry MAY be on some kind of ceramic or China plate, but we really can't be sure. This is a tough one as I don't see a clear rule violation, so I see no need to disqualify his entry.

However:

The bigger question is how well Radrob's entry conforms to the spirit of the category description, and that is something the voters must decide. All of the other entries clearly fit in line with the spirit of the category description and were presented in a way you would find from a food truck.

Folks, please chime in if you have something to say about this...

China plate or not, I see a tasty looking burger. We have a local truck that sells mostly hot dogs and pastas bravas, but also sells a burger. The one pictured would be right at home with their offerings.

Plus this is a friendly competition, mostly for bragging rights and ideas for future cooks.

Plus this is a friendly competition, mostly for bragging rights and ideas for future cooks.

It is friendly, but there are also rules, and we cannot selectively enforce them. While the entry in question did not violate those rules, it WAS borderline in that it did not conform to the spirit/context of the Category description.

In all fairness, Tom brought up a good point which I needed to address publicly.

I called his entry out as my choice early on, but I am not so sure the line is blurry except in the possible description of "fine china." I honestly had forgot about that kicker in the rules since I did not submit anything. I wonder if in the future (since sometimes the rules can influence voting because of spirit if not disqualify an entry) the added rules need added to the voting page. Just a thought.

I called his entry out as my choice early on, but I am not so sure the line is blurry except in the possible description of "fine china." I honestly had forgot about that kicker in the rules since I did not submit anything. I wonder if in the future (since sometimes the rules can influence voting because of spirit if not disqualify an entry) the added rules need added to the voting page. Just a thought.

You make a good point, Chris. I didn't notice the plate until Tom brought it up.

In retrospect, the rules in this TD should have been more consistent and specific. So instead of this:

Emphasis is placed on the serving method. No fine china or glassware is permitted!

To something like this:

Emphasis is placed on the serving method. No ceramic plates or china, silverware, glassware, etc. Your entry photo MUST show your dish served as it might come from a food truck.

I can see where you're coming from with the possibility of selectively enforcing rules and it maybe causing problems in future TDs. "Hey you allowed it in xxx TD." Others may have a different opinion, don't know. I've heard there were many squabbles over rules in years past, way before I started entering. Perhaps highlight any rules specific to a particular TD. Like I said, glad I'm not a Mod.

That being said, if my entry gets beaten and there happens to be an "illegal" plate in the pic.... Well, there's always the Chicken Quarter TD coming up....

I hadn't noticed it and frankly, it doesn't bother me even as a participant. It's a fine looking entry and the slip up wasn't caught until after the voting began.

The throwdowns are all in good spirit and as much as I enjoy entering them I'm more intrigued by seeing what other members come up with.

-Dom

I can see where you're coming from with the possibility of selectively enforcing rules and it maybe causing problems in future TDs. "Hey you allowed it in xxx TD." Others may have a different opinion, don't know. I've heard there were many squabbles over rules in years past, way before I started entering. Perhaps highlight any rules specific to a particular TD. Like I said, glad I'm not a Mod.

That being said, if my entry gets beaten and there happens to be an "illegal" plate in the pic.... Well, there's always the Chicken Quarter TD coming up....

Like I said, I brought this up to address the fact that Tom noticed "the plate". It was an honest question, and it wouldn't be fair to ignore it. Again, Radrob's entry didn't necessarily violate the category specifics, or "special rules", at least that we are aware of. That plate in his entry could be made of paper or cardboard for all we know. Short of Radrob coming forward and saying that "plate" was indeed made of "fine China" then it will stay where it is.

I'll vote accordingly

but I wanted to vote for the burger

Like I said, I brought this up to address the fact that Tom noticed "the plate". It was an honest question, and it wouldn't be fair to ignore it. Again, Radrob's entry didn't necessarily violate the category specifics, or "special rules", at least that we are aware of. That plate in his entry could be made of paper or cardboard for all we know. Short of Radrob coming forward and saying that "plate" was indeed made of "fine China" then it will stay where it is.
Maybe my earlier post didn't come across quite right, I'm not complaining at all. Personally, I don't really care one way or another. There's another throwdown right around the corner. I think I won once, have gotten zeros and have gotten dilly bars. It's all fun! That's why I enter every now and then.

Do these 5 Food Trucks have Twitter feeds with where they'll be this week? :shock:

You're crushing it, fellas.

No matter if you're serving on paper, cardboard, washing cheap plates.... keep the incredibly fine grub coming. Lord knows we'd help keep you in business!

I am the person who suggested he enter the Burger I was only looking at the food and had not thought about the rules sorry about that

***MODERATOR'S NOTE***

I have just closed this poll since Radrob asked that his entry be removed. I will post a revised poll and we will start from scratch minus his entry.

Back