• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Has anyone tried REAL roadside selling?

twinsfan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
When I mean REAL roadside, I don't mean urban Home Depot or in a town, I mean if you live on a country road with some decent, not great, traffic and sell your food with some plastic chairs set up. Does the HD super balk on this? I'd spose they would, a shame though.

"Hello, I'm from the government and I'm here to help"...one doesn't have to like it or get used to it but that's the status of life in the US today.

If you live on a country road and sell BBQ with only decent BBQ, you are not going to be in business long, unless your BBQ rocks the world. Everyone needs a hook, convenience is a good one.

I for one, have little interest in sitting in a hut along a road waiting for someone to come on in. Then again, I walked away from cooking when the place was packed and tips were plentiful. So I am not the guy to go to.

Good thing I'm a student and I'd be making no money anyways, why not give it a try next summer. Same legality applies? or under the table?

Only get away with that in the far northern part of Canada. Best customers would be the Polar Bears and they don't tip well.

Well, apparently jbrink, people's version of roadside selling is inside a town or industrial complex. SO much different, and I didn't want to necro up a thread.

Well, apparently jbrink, people's version of roadside selling is inside a town or industrial complex. SO much different, and I didn't want to necro up a thread.

Dude, no different. YOU NEED TO BE LEGAL TO SELL TO THE PUBLIC!!!!

If you want to sell roadside and get somebody sick, go ahead. Just stop asking us for forgiveness. :tsk:

Any time you are feeding the public, regardless of the situation or location, you are subject to regulation. Of course, this would exempt family and friends within a home situation. Otherwise, particularly if you are taking money or services in trade, you are subject to all of the requirements for safety. If you want to run under the table, that is your business, although, you do that and folks get sick, or you provide bad food, you sully everyone else, even those who go by the books.

You will find little support amongst most of the professional Brethren for what you seem to want to do, as they are doing it legally and paying the costs associated with that. I think I can speak for all of the folks currently working professionally, nobody appreciates the illegal taco trucks, sandwich carts and hot dog stands who are taking business by not playing by the rules.

Okay, I'd like to piggy-back on this thread since it's surely about to die anyway and ask a legitimate question about, well, being legitimate! :tsk: How little equipment can you get by with in your trailer if you have it at your commissary? Our church has a better kitchen than most restaurants and, as some have suggested in other threads, I'd like to utilize it to be legal if I decide to start selling to the public. For example, if you have a three basin sink in your commissary are you exempt from having it in your trailer? Thanks in advance for your replies!

Pit with a hold function (FEC 500 for me). Commercial Fridge, 3 Hole plus handwash. Hot water. In Franklin County MO.

To be legal here in Ky. this is what we need.

"In order to have a catering business, you must have these things:

*Separate kitchen from the one you use in your home
*3 compartment sink
*Hand Sink
*Mop Sink
*Water Heater
*Space for equipment (Cabinets and Countertops)
*Dry Storage (Nothing can sit on floor)
*No Carpet (Flooring must be able to be mopped)"

Pit with a hold function (FEC 500 for me). Commercial Fridge, 3 Hole plus handwash. Hot water. In Franklin County MO.

Do you also have to have a generator to power the FEC according to code? And can you substitute a sanitizing solution for the hot water? :confused:

To be legal here in Ky. this is what we need.

"In order to have a catering business, you must have these things:

*Separate kitchen from the one you use in your home
*3 compartment sink
*Hand Sink
*Mop Sink
*Water Heater
*Space for equipment (Cabinets and Countertops)
*Dry Storage (Nothing can sit on floor)
*No Carpet (Flooring must be able to be mopped)"

But this would be in your commissary, because you don't have to have a trailer to cater, correct? My ex and I used to run a catering business from our home - legally! We used to get unannnounced inspections just like a restaurant. They changed that law now and if you aren't grandfathered in you can't do it any more. I wonder if you build a dedicated kitchen just for the business - in addition to your regular kitchen - could you do it from home? We're getting ready to build a new home and I designed in a kitchen in the basement for that purpose - don't know whethere we'll go through with that part yet or not, though. Certainly need to talk to the HD beforehand...

Back