First sausage making attempt

wnkt

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been getting a hankering for some good sausage. And since I cant really find any that is really any good I decided I am going to give making my own a try.
I have been doing some research, looking for books and possible sources of ingredients and equipment.
I found two very informative books: Amazon.com: Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing (9780025668607): Rytek Kutas: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61aCX2oWywL.@@AMEPARAM@@61aCX2oWywL

Amazon.com: Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing (9780393058291): Michael Ruhlman, Brian Polcyn, Thomas Keller: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ou38lyp5L.@@AMEPARAM@@51Ou38lyp5L

Since we already have a Kitchenaid stand mixer I found a grinder attachment at Bed Bath and Beyond for $50, and I found a sausage stuffing kit at Bass ProShop for $70.

I decided since I had some chicken in the freezer I was going to try Chicken with Basil and SunDried tomatoes. The recipe is in the Charcuterie book.

All in all it came out pretty well except the texture of the finished sausage after stuffing in the hog casings and smoking was mealy or grainy. The only reason I could think why was that I used breasts instead of thighs that are called for in the recipe.

Any thoughts?

( yes I know, no pics , didnt happen but Ill try to do better next time :p)

I would bet on the switch being a part of the problem. Chicken thighs are a little less lean than breasts and fat is pretty important in making sausage.

I agree that chicken breast is quite lean and could be part of the cause. A fine grind will also render a mealy texture. You may want to experiment with a more course grinder plate.

I think you're right about using the breasts making them mealy. Also did you mix the ground meat and spices with the paddle for a minute or so before stuffing? That seems to help me. Fat is your friend when making sausage.

Both of those books are great, btw. I've done just about all the smoked and fresh recipes in the Charcuterie book and all have been great. I've done a couple in the Kutas book and so far so good. Great recipes here, too:

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage recipes.htm#AMERICAN TYPE COOKED SAUSAGES

For chicken sausage, I've always used boneless/skinless thighs. Doesn't hurt to add a little hog fat or fatty bacon to it either. Fat equals flavor and the best tasting sausage has a lot of fat in it. Congrats on your new hobby !!

I DID add some pork fat per the recipe
3.5 pounds chicken
1.5 pounds pork fat
( there actually is a place in town I can readily get pork fat, its a mexican grocery)

I DID mix with the paddle attachment

The recipe called for the small plate in the grinder, I thought it would get mushy specially after mixing with the paddle too. It seemed to me it was going to be the emulsified type sausage, like bolonga.
I like coarser grind, Im going with the larger plate next time.

One thing I definitely learned...if I buy another stuffer...its going to be a POWER one. I tried using the small tube for the stuffer and I about busted a nut trying to squeeze all that meat through. :doh:

One more thing...Natural hog casings STINK!!
:puke:

Could it have something to do with the fact that the chicken was frozen. Sometime I've noticed that boneless/skinless chicken breasts that is slow to freeze/slow to thaw has a slightly different texture. Thin freezer bags/wrap my play a part in that too.

IDK just my .02

Could it have something to do with the fact that the chicken was frozen. Sometime I've noticed that boneless/skinless chicken breasts that is slow to freeze/slow to thaw has a slightly different texture. Thin freezer bags/wrap my play a part in that too.

IDK just my .02

I bought the chicken breasts in a large family pack and vac-u-sucked and froze them, they thawed in the fridge. :noidea:

When we make chicken brats or sausage, we grind thighs skin and all. Works out pretty good.

Back