• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Qucifer's BBQ Build Up

Q

Qucifer

Hello again everyone. I said I was going to build a BBQ Smoker, and I started it this morning. Took a few pics of what I have done so far. Just taking a quick break, its cold outside. So far ive taken some measurments, and have trying to decide how and where to mount the smoke box. Anyway, here are a couple pics of the first few cuts of the smoke box. I will post more later as I make more progress.

Box1.jpg

Once again, here is the basis of the build.

Box2.jpg

Here is a steel remnant on the CNC table.

Box3.jpg

Box4.jpg

Box5.jpg

Box6.jpg

Box7.jpg

These are just a few action shots. I really like watching the machine make easy work of just about any design I slap on it.

More to come

Q

Uhhhh, excuse me, not to come off like a a$$, but with tools like that, whyTF are you messing around with that little air tank???

BTW....i would kill to play in your shop....:cool:

Haha. Its my first bbq build, and steel is not cheap my friend. I would rather take chances on a free tank like this than on 500 dollars worth of raw steel. I plan on learning from this build, and in the future if I need something larger, I will do this again.

Haha. Its my first bbq build, and steel is not cheap my friend. I would rather take chances on a free tank like this than on 500 dollars worth of raw steel. I plan on learning from this build, and in the future if I need something larger, I will do this again.
Trust me......you will build again!:biggrin: it's not IF you need something bigger....its WHEN you need something bigger.

OOOoooooo That's chheeeeeaaaaattttiiinnnggg!!! No fair! lol
ok ok im just jealous!

All in favor of the next bash being at Qucifer's house raise your hand!

Nice job so far...

You've got one VERY well outfitted garage!!!!

Well, actually I have all tools and no shop. I work out of my tiny 2 car attached garage. The Military moved me 18 months ago from Arizona where I had a nice shop to work out of, to Oklahoma, where I have no shop. I would love to install one, but since I will be moving back to Arizona later this year, it kind of defeats the purpose. So for now, I am that crazy guy in the neigborhood running CNC plasma out of his house. :oops:
At least im an an acre, so its not too bad.

Well, here are a couple more pics. I had to come back in to design the sides of the fire box, they have to follow the contours of the tank, Ill have pics of those when they are done. Until then, let me know what you think so far.

Box24.jpg

Box23.jpg

Box22.jpg

Box21.jpg

Q

Okay, I cut the sides of the fire box, and tack welded it together. Here are a few more pics. If it seems like i take alot of breaks, is because its cold outside. I have to come in every now and again to warm up.

Box31.jpg

Box32.jpg

Box33.jpg

Box34.jpg

Box35.jpg

Box36.jpg

I have to go into town for a bit. If I get anymore done today, I will post pics.

Q

More Progress

Alright, had a late start today. Too much alcohol last night, and a headache this morning could be the blame.
Anyway, here are some pictures of todays progress. I cut a door, with a built in damper, and welded it on via
a 4 dollar gate hinge. So far my grand total on this project is about 12 dollars. That is cost of the steel for
the firebox, and the hinge. The tank was a donor, so that helps cut costs. Let me know what you think so far.

BoxDamper1.jpg

BoxDamper3.jpg

BoxDamper4.jpg

BoxDamper5.jpg

BoxDamper7.jpg

BoxDamper8.jpg

BoxDamper9.jpg

More to come.
Q

Man that looks awesome. Nice work!! All in about 1 days time. You'll be smokin in no time.

I like watching a build from start to finish....

Tanks like that are usually pretty thin, are you planning on stitch cutting the door, then letting it cool down before making the final cuts? Do you have access to a sandblaster?

Qucifer--Ya are killing me man!

I was born and raised a machinist and am now down to one teeny-tiny drill press, measuring instruments, and hand tools. :twisted:

And, you come along with a CNC plasma cutter in your Farkin' Garage :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
There has got to be a story here!
What machine do you have??????

Oh Yeah--great work on the smoker.
Should work fine.

TIM

Hey thanks everyone, its an awesome project, have been wanting to do something like this for a while.
Regarding the tank, I plan on drawing an outline for the door, then hand cutting it with the plasma cutter I will then weld a lip around the outside of peice I cut out so I can use it as as the smoker door.

To The Kapn, here is the story on the CNC table. I am in the Air Force, and when I was stationed back in Arizona, I used to do Mechanic work, welding, and fabrication with a buddy, out of his shop. Well, things really started rolling for us, and with so little time left on my enlistment, the plan was to roll out of the military, and into fabrication full time. Well, with 20 months left on my stretch, I was hit with orders to Oklahoma. Well, I got here, bought the CNC table, and started a business making small decorative items. I figured buying the machine now would give me time to master it before I got back to AZ at the end of my term. Well, I have gotten pretty good with it, and sell quite a bit of stuff. I get out of the military in march, and plan on going back to AZ as soon as my house sells. Could be 2 months from now, could be a year. Whatever the case, I will be ready to go full blown on the fabrication stuff when I get back to AZ. In the meanwhile, I work out of my tiny garage since I wouldnt re-coup the costs of a shop if I was too put one in and sell my house right away.

Q

I like the smoker, I HATE you!:wink: Not really, I am just astonishingly jealous of your CNC plasma.:biggrin:
Having said that, I have nowhere to put one so there'd be no point me even thinking about it:frown:
Keep up the good work sir!

Fascinating!!!!

Can you share the make/model of the cutter???

My "wheels" are turning :oops:

TIM

The CNC table is manufactured by Plasma Cam. It is a semi universal table, designed to work with most hand held plasma cutters. On mine I am running a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38. I can produce a quality cut on mild steel up to 3/16 thick with my setup. I plan on upgrading to a larger plasma cutter in the future so I can go thicker on the steel.

The CNC table is manufactured by Plasma Cam. It is a semi universal table, designed to work with most hand held plasma cutters. On mine I am running a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38. I can produce a quality cut on mild steel up to 3/16 thick with my setup. I plan on upgrading to a larger plasma cutter in the future so I can go thicker on the steel.

Got it---going shopping now! :lol:

Great looking work you are doing on that smoker (just to keep this on-topic/track :lol:).

Cut on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

Back