• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

More and More I become a Weber Fanatic

ajstrider

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The more I cook and smoke, the more I enjoy Weber's products. The kettle grill is such a diverse tool when you spend some time learning the different techniques to do different styles of cooks. Maybe a WSM is in my near future...?

I know exactly what you mean. I cooked on a bunch of different smokers for years before finally getting rid of all of them and buying my first Weber OTG off CL for $40. I just wanted to go back to basics. I can honestly say that I've learned more about real deal bbq/smoking on that kettle than I ever did from electric and cheap charcoal smokers.

I love my Weber Performers. They are very versatyle and I use them quite a bit. Heck I use it more than my UDS whenever I bbq up meats.

I would love to hear these different techniques. I just bought my first OTG gold. Also the first charcoal grill.

I agree which is why i made smokers with my SJG and Jumbo Joe...great smokers and still great grills.

instead of buying a WSM its super easy to convert your kettle to one with a piece of a 55 gal drum and a few screws and a home made charcoal basket

while you are at it, add a rotisserie to it too

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 229
ButtBurner is your middle section sitting on the outside or inside of your kettle ?, you have a thread were you posted it all ?

The more I cook and smoke, the more I enjoy Weber's products. The kettle grill is such a diverse tool when you spend some time learning the different techniques to do different styles of cooks. Maybe a WSM is in my near future...?

You will LOVE the WSM. But if you're on a budget, I would seriously endorse the smokenator attachment for the Weber Kettle, it's fantastic. You just need to watch the fuel carefully, you'll be adding a few coals even on a relatively short (4 hour) rib cook.

The WSM gives you the ability to run a 10+ hour cook without ever adding fuel, which is awesome. And of course has room for MOAR MEAT!

You will LOVE the WSM. But if you're on a budget, I would seriously endorse the smokenator attachment for the Weber Kettle, it's fantastic. You just need to watch the fuel carefully, you'll be adding a few coals even on a relatively short (4 hour) rib cook.

The WSM gives you the ability to run a 10+ hour cook without ever adding fuel, which is awesome. And of course has room for MOAR MEAT!

I personally wouldn't use the smokenator. You can use fire bricks to hold coals on 1 side of the kettle if you wanted. You can also use the ring of fire method to go 6-9 hours without having to reload coals.

Once you know how to use a kettle to its full potential, you will find that you do not need a few of the accessories, such as the smokenator.

I could not agree more with the OP's sentiments regarding the kettle. It's such a versatile cooker! IMO the WSM just takes that capability to the next level with higher capacity (both food and fuel) and better fire control.

I would love to hear these different techniques. I just bought my first OTG gold. Also the first charcoal grill.

Apropos to smoking there is a recent article at the WKC about various methods to smoke on the kettle. http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/ I would have added the mini-WSM to the list. I think you can do that for under $100.

I personally wouldn't use the smokenator. You can use fire bricks to hold coals on 1 side of the kettle if you wanted. You can also use the ring of fire method to go 6-9 hours without having to reload coals.

Once you know how to use a kettle to its full potential, you will find that you do not need a few of the accessories, such as the smokenator.

+1 on this. I use fire bricks to make a place for coals on my 26" kettle. Works great. Smokenator isn't necessary. Take a look at Aawa's ring of fire set-up - probably the best way to smoke on a kettle.:thumb:

I did this to my 26" kettle. Basically bent some expanded metal, bolted it to the charcoal grate and bolted a flat sheet of aluminum to the expanded metal form a diffuser.

It holds quite a bit of charcoal, I use it when I reverse sear steaks too. There is plenty of open space for direct grilling, depending on whether the charcoal goes in the indirect section or open space.

IMG_1078.jpg

Back