Competition Chili - The Final Version

Looks good. I like to make west Texas chili with stew meat, charred and steamed peppers, and nopalitos (cactus leaves).

I'm using granulated garlic and granulated onion. I'm premixing the spices so that all we have to do is dump them during the comp. It's a way of simplifying things and reducing the opportunities for mistakes.

The way I cook this chili is, dump in the ingredients, bring it to a boil, reduce to a simmer, secret step, and serve. It's a model K.I.S.S. recipe.

What's the secret step? Fish sauce? :doh:

He he he, nope. But, cooking it at home won't need the secret.

That is a good looking bowl of chili, I am not a beans in chili guy and the corn :shocked:, but, I can see the tastes and would not bet against you. You do love your reasearch don't you?

My mind is blown with your chili. Here in the Midwest, I grew up on chili with large chunks of tomatoes and onion, lots of coarse ground meat, plenty of real garlic, and few if any beans. My chili is made with whole tomatoes "squished'" between the fingers for large chunks. I add my coarsely chopped onion at three different stages of cooking(beginning saute, one third of the way thru the cook, and two thirds of the way thru the cook; in order to give three stages of cooked onion to the chili(as learned from Chef Paul Prudhomme). Most times, I prefer no beans; but, may add one can to satisfy my friends that think that chili needs beans. :decision:

Dude, if it is good keep cooking it! Forget all the BS about no beans. If it tastes good, it is a winner.

On that note, I have never had chili that was just meat that tasted like anything other than well.... ground meat with spices.

i like corn in my chile and a variety of beans and... come to think of it I like your pron

I am always ready to try a new chili recipe.. I can never do comps though my wife liked ( and I agree ) using a chuck roast instead of ground beef.. When it shreds as you stir it is ready. That is of course after it has been smoked for a few hours nothing too much just a light smoke to add to the flavor.. I have a difficult time with dried beans though unless it has been simmering in the crockpot overnight. Might have to try different beans. Red beans do no favors to your guts:shocked:

Back