FBA vs KCBS

hogzgonewild

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We are competing in our first FBA this weekend. Other than no garnish, what other differences should we know about before heading down there?

Fill the box. Beds of chopped for all but ribs. Then add show pieces. 10-12 chicken, 10-15 ribs, 8 slices or more of pork, maybe add chunks, 10-15 slices of brisket and lots of big tender burnt ends.

Work out your timing with 1 hour between turnin. I had a conflict on my rib and chicken processes and had to tweak them. Made for chaos at 10:20.

fba requires 8 pieces int he box vs kcbs 6 pieces. you also have 1 hr turn .ins fill your box up though i cook 20 thighs and turn in 12 if bb ribs about 13 get turned in st luis ribs about 11. should be a good one pitmasters is filming. they do have shortage on judges at this time. not sure if that will be bad

Really the only thing I'll add to Ford's and Roger's advice is that lately it seems that the judges want less sauce on the chicken and ribs. There for a while the sauce was getting pretty thick and messy.

Russ

Imho fba Is a "polished" version of kcbs. 1 hour turn ins. The fba score sheets give a cook way more info than kcbs sheets do. You can actually see how you did on a table vs t

he others . You can also be guAranteed to not end up on the same table.unlike kcbs which you can only hope not to end up on the same table. unfortunately here Northeast no organizer has the balls to not do kcbs.

Fba rocks.all judges are taught the same scoring system.where to start scoring etc.my scores are always more consistent in fba.remember its a meat contest so make that box heavy.the judging class doesn't bother me as long as we have some good table captains.instead of hurrying on to next meat they have plenty of time to look at individual scores and always do.

I love cooking FBA. Like others have said, fill the box. The 1 hour turn in window is also very nice, especially if you’re cooking by yourself. I don’t cook any differently for either org, flavor profiles are the same.

That is a lot of meat in a box! What kind of container does the FBA use?

That is a lot of meat in a box! What kind of container does the FBA use?
Same 9x9 as in KCBS. Very cooker-friendly. Takes more effort to make a nice FBA box than a KCBS box (once the garnish is over) so allow a few extra minutes prior to turn in. Plan on having a lot of fun!

Re: judges, in the worst case scenario they will "crash" train some at the last minute. But most likely it won't get to that point.

I am cooking there too! Did not do well last year but did the year before. Nice location but only 10 amps for power. My advise is as the others said, FILL that box full, no pooling or marking, same as KCBS. Good luck!

I am cooking there too! Did not do well last year but did the year before. Nice location but only 10 amps for power. My advise is as the others said, FILL that box full, no pooling or marking, same as KCBS. Good luck!

pooling was actually dropped from the rules, but i would not suggest it as it may affect appearance scores

Back