What would you like in a cabinet smoker

Ufo8mycow

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have just finished building my backwoods style insulated reverse flow cabinet smoker and I have learned a lot of lessons along the way and I think I can knock them out in less than half the time it took me to build and now I am considering building a few of them to sell. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181785

The design I am going to start with will be powder coated and made with 16g cold rolled steel inside and out and will weigh in at under 225lbs. It will have 5 16x24 slide out racks spaced 3" apart (1-1/2" is possible) and be able to fit a full size hotel pans, slam latches for both doors, lift off doors to reduce weight for transport, a stainless removable water pan that can be filled without opening the doors, flush mount damper on the side and a built in flush mount guru port (no adapter necessary). It will also have a large charcoal basket that should be able to burn for at least 12-16 hours

What I want from you is suggestions on what kind of features you would like to have built into one?

Last edited:
You asked!!!
Drain for water pan
Side Handles
SS Doors
SS Side Table (foldable or removable)
Cart/Wheels
Heat diverter (still necessary with water pan for hot and fast temps

All doors built into a sub frame, my stumps charcoal chimney lets in a good bit of water and drives me crazy, I know its vertical but it's my main complaint

These cabinet smokers that are insulated are suppose to be great in the weather, make a rain cap for the exhaust, my stumps its a straight shot down on to my food, spent an extra 15 dollars to use a gas vent rain cap.

More brackets to have the available to space out racks as needed.

A way to mount a guru to the smoker without haveing to myself drill holes or magnets whatever

I guess thats all for now.

How about a slide out tray for the charcoal basket? I was thinking the other day it would be nice to have on the BWS so I don't have to shovel the snow out of the way to set it on the ground to refill it.

You asked!!!
Drain for water pan
Side Handles
SS Doors
SS Side Table (foldable or removable)
Cart/Wheels
Heat diverter (still necessary with water pan for hot and fast temps

The heat diverter will be standard and the water pan will be removable but If I can come up with a way for a drain I will. As for the other things They can all be easily added after the build and I will probably make them optional because I am trying to keep costs as low as possible a pass that on to the customer.

How about a slide out tray for the charcoal basket? I was thinking the other day it would be nice to have on the BWS so I don't have to shovel the snow out of the way to set it on the ground to refill it.

Do you mean slide out so that the whole thing will be suspended when pulled out or just with an attached charcoal pan?

I've got a BWS, love it! I do wish it had a side table. I would've paid extra for that all day long.

I have a Chubby and wish it had a slide out fire basket and ash catcher so I don't have to lift it out. The standard Chubby only has a door that opens 90 Degrees which is kinda goofy. You have to pay a bunch extra to get the 180 degree door. There is a thermo on the door that will get in the way with a 90 degree door. You should offer a rolling stand, powder coated that the Smoker will fit nicely into. I made my own for the chubby and had it powder coated. It works great and saves my back. See picture.

I've got a BWS, love it! I do wish it had a side table. I would've paid extra for that all day long.

Like this ? These are some NSF grade SS shelves that I found at webrestaurantsupply.com for $ 50 delivered. They are 24"x12" and fit your G2 perfectly. just pop about 4 holes in the lip on the shelf, some self drilling screws and there you go. I have been putting these on BW smokers for guys for a few months now that I found them. They are super nice. Won't fit the standard party and chubby though. Everything else is good.

Attachments

• PPlus 2.jpg
    PPlus 2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20131002_182811_151.jpg
    IMG_20131002_182811_151.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 93
Do you mean slide out so that the whole thing will be suspended when pulled out or just with an attached charcoal pan?

Like Marty is saying, a shelf that would slide out with the ash pan and fire basket on it, so it doesn't have to be removed to fill it up.

Check out the Pitmaker site and use what you like. These pits defy the laws of heat/fuel.

Full swing doors, or at least more than 90*. Folding side shelf, or one that can be put on/taken off easily.

Back