Discussion Thread -> "Tex-Mex and/or Mex-Mex!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Tex-Mex and/or Mex-Mex!"

tex-mex-neon-sign.jpg

As chosen by 93vpmod for winning the "Time to Loin Up!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

93vpmod said:
Tacos, carnitas, fajitas, quesadillas, enchiladas, you get the idea. To make it easy on the mods and to save on dilly bars, no special rules. Just tell us all what you did in your cook!

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/11 through Sunday 4/20.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 4/21

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
It was destined to be a category soon! This was my first choice instead of the Spirits TD but DerHusker kindly reminded me that there may be lots of Pepper TD entries with a Mexican twist, so I chose the Spirits, instead!

With 93vpmod's input, we have clarified the category from "Tex-Mex" to "Tex-Mex and/or Mex-Mex".

In other words, if you still fail to meet the category and get a DQ, there is no hope for you.

I never would have guessed that...I thought refried pintos were one of the Tex-Mex staples?
Sure, but there are still lots of places that use black beans in dishes or as a substitute item.

Some Tex-Mex is pretty true to Mex-Mex, and some isn't. Both can be good, and both can suck. Over the last couple of decades, it is getting even more mixed up. Some restaurants are doing Tex-Mex that is closer to Mex-Mex... and it is pretty farking good.

Like biggie said, if you get a DQ in this one, you are quite possibly an idiot.

CD

Some of the true Mexican food I've had in Texas almost always included black beans. Could be a regional thing.

I never would have guessed that...I thought refried pintos were one of the Tex-Mex staples?

Black beans are all the rage in Tex-Mex these days. I use them instead of refried beans all the time. They are healthier, and I think they taste better.

Charro beans are traditional Mexican beans that most Tex-Mex restaurants are offering around here as an option to refried beans. Still pinto beans, but more of a bean soup, rather than the paste consistency of refried beans. I prefer charro beans, myself.

CD

Yes. Quality beans only, and I expect some QUALITY beans posted in the delinquent thread.:thumb:

¡Ola Señores! Mucho tiempo sin vernos.
*This is an official throwdown entry*

On the table tonight are fish tacos. I pulled a redfish out of the freezer, thawed it while I was out fishing today and then marinated it in vegetable oil, chili powder, chopped jalapeño, chopped garlic, fresh chopped cilantro and a sprinkle of sea salt. The redfish fillets were skin on and I grilled them 'on the half shell'.

Fish1_zps103dbe90.jpg

The taco is a corn tortilla from La Espiga de Oro (local tortilla factory) topped with Mexican crema, chopped cabbage, pico de gallo, and the grilled redfish.

Plated with the taco are grill roasted corn served on top of chicharones with a light dusting of grated manchego cheese, a dab of guacamole and a Modelo Especial.

Fish3_zps037abedd.jpg

¡Que lo disfrute!

Very nicely done! I really like the grill photo.

I seriously had planned to make fish tacos tomorrow night...

Back