• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber mods??

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Three mods im wanting to do. A rotisserie mod, charcoal basket mod, and better air flow mod.

For the first i was thinkin of runnin to home depot and buyin a 8 foot or so piece of aluminum flashing and fitting it to the inside of my weber. then add some notches to it to add a 50$ or so rotisserie unit. Any input on this would be awesome

Second mod i need help with is a way to have longer cook times with the weber with good fuel efficiency so i dont burn so much. thought i saw on here once a ring of fire type thing that had charcoal on the outsid and food was in the middle...

The thirs mod is one thats buggin me. highest temp i could get a full chimney last night with the lid on was 475. thats with both top and bottom wide open. However that was done with the charcoal banked to one side, but the turkey thermo was right over the edge of coals.

ok thanx guys. just lookin for some spring ideas to do soon for the weber..

Matt

Weber kettles are what Weber kettles are. I'm at a loss as to why you would want to turn it into something it isn't.

What kind of Weber? Kettle? If so, look for a couple of the little offset charcoal doo-dads Weber makes for your charcoal box. Do a Minion method burn in them. That should cover #2 and #3. If it's a 22" kettle, Weber makes a rotisserie unit.

What kind of Weber? Kettle? If so, look for a couple of the little offset charcoal doo-dads Weber makes for your charcoal box. Do a Minion method burn in them. That should cover #2 and #3. If it's a 22" kettle, Weber makes a rotisserie unit.
its a 22 but i dont want to fork out the 150$ for the rotisserie. wanted to create one for less that will still do just as good of job. haha. i want a somewhat slow and lo with out always using the UDS. Sometimes its just faster to get the weber to a lo temp and slow cook for a couple of hours without pullin the UDS out of storage. Didnt know weber had a box thing for it

thanx

Weber kettles are what Weber kettles are. I'm at a loss as to why you would want to turn it into something it isn't.

i cant always use the UDS because its all packed up atm. So when i want to slow cook a chicken i need something that will help save on burning so much fuel. im just talkin bout 2-3 hours max cook times.

i cant always use the UDS because its all packed up atm. So when i want to slow cook a chicken i need something that will help save on burning so much fuel. im just talkin bout 2-3 hours max cook times.

I can smoke a spatchcocked chicken on my 22 inch kettle with no mods at all. All you need to do is set it up indirect with a couple fire bricks to hold the coals to one side.

If I can do it, so can you...

I can smoke a spatchcocked chicken on my 22 inch kettle with no mods at all. All you need to do is set it up indirect with a couple fire bricks to hold the coals to one side.

If I can do it, so can you...

i have done indirectly before, but it seems the coals just burn so fast.. Maybe ill buy some fire bricks when i buy that dang aluminum.. thanx for the tip.

i have done indirectly before, but it seems the coals just burn so fast.. Maybe ill buy some fire bricks when i buy that dang aluminum.. thanx for the tip.

Close the bottom vents almost all the way and open the top vent about 3/4 with the vent holes opposite the your coals. Dump 3/4 a chimney of unlit charcoal in, and then dump 1/4 of a chimney of lit charcoal on top of that.

You should get somewhere around 2 to 2.5 hours of burn time.

Close the bottom vents almost all the way and open the top vent about 3/4 with the vent holes opposite the your coals. Dump 3/4 a chimney of unlit charcoal in, and then dump 1/4 of a chimney of lit charcoal on top of that.

You should get somewhere around 2 to 2.5 hours of burn time.

hmm. ok cool. gonna have to try that. Gonna have to adjust for altitude though. haha. You all remember my UDS problem in the summer time. 275 was the hottest i could get it wide open. hahaha

thanx for the tips and tricks

Picture690.jpg

try this setup with bricks. the ones here are covered in foil.

Can you kindly post with the results of the rotisserie mod? I have a rotisserie set up for the gasser and was thinking of something similar to roast up some chickens on the spit.

What about a ring of flashing or steel of an appropriate gauge (ie can be bent into a ring easily), which sits on bolts for support in the kettle and in the UDS? That way the rotisserie ring could be used for both the kettle and the UDS. Hmmm... I think I just figured out a way to stay busy this weekend.

And I'll bet it won't cost $130+ :-D

Can you kindly post with the results of the rotisserie mod? I have a rotisserie set up for the gasser and was thinking of something similar to roast up some chickens on the spit.

What about a ring of flashing or steel of an appropriate gauge (ie can be bent into a ring easily), which sits on bolts for support in the kettle and in the UDS? That way the rotisserie ring could be used for both the kettle and the UDS. Hmmm... I think I just figured out a way to stay busy this weekend.

And I'll bet it won't cost $130+ :-D

lol. im still trying to figure it out. my idea was to have a flashing like you said, around the inside of the kettle. then mount the rotisserie to it. one of those 40$ units should work.

Back