Whole Chicken on Weber Kettle?

TurboDog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm about to go put a whole chicken on my 22.5" Weber kettle. The way I usually do it is just spatch the chicken and grill it over direct heat until it's done. My question is , do any of you have any better suggestions how to go about it? Like maybe indirect heat? Minion method light? Special setup to make the kettle more like a smoker etc? It's an older kettle with the 3 daisy wheels , and the ashpan sits inside the kettle attached to the coal grate. I've got kingsford briquettes and some hickory chunks on hand. Thanks in advance.

Hi TD, sounds like your plan is a good one.
I use indriect all the way. Others go direct, others use a combo.

Here are a couple threads of my chickens, and a photo of an outcome. They may assist you.

Have a GREAT cook!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110560

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89917

CamerDec2010download041.jpg

I like to throw the thing on whole over indirect heat, get the coals piled up on either side and stick the bird in between them. Stuff the cavity with some lemons, onion & garlic and rub the whole thing down with some better and S&P. Incredibly simple but delicious.

Pretty much like MS2SB but ususally we spatchcock the bird with some butter under the skin. Either way indirect will be just fine. Time is ususally around an hour to an hour and 20 minutes. Just depends on your fire. Good luck!!

Well , that looks simple enough , one question though , should I light all the coals in my chimney from the start , or just some of them?

I light a full chimney and then pour those over a shallow layer of unlit coals in my charcoal baskets. Its a short enough cook time that you don't need to worry about the minion method, plus I like to get the fire pretty hot, slow cooking on this doesn't seem provide any real benefits.

Ok , thank you guys a bunch , I'm going to go get started. If I don't drink too many beers and forget , I'll take a couple pics.

Indirect with Red Oak wide open all vents is my favorite way. I try to do at least 1 a week. Put it directly over the heat at finish if you like a little char on the skin.

spatchcockedchicken041811006.jpg

Last edited:
Man , you guys make some good lookin grub! I got it on there indirect , I used some foil to try and direct the air under the fire , I adjusted the vents to hold about 325 degrees , give or take , the bird been on there since 6:45 , central time. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Man , this was some of the best chicken I've ever cooked , i kept the temps between 300 and 325. I kept the chicken on there for about ano hour and a half , and it came out perfect. It was tender , extremely juicy , smoky and delicious. I'll definitely be doing this again instead of directly grilling. Thank you all so much for your suggestions, Here are some pics , as promised.

P1050430.jpg

P1050433.jpg

P1050434.jpg

P1050436.jpg

P1050438.jpg

P1050440.jpg

P1050441.jpg

I did these last week. I had to prop the chicken up because I needed the extra room for bacon wrapped wings.

Attachments

• P1060023.jpg
    P1060023.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 445
OLDSCHOOL : That's the way I did my first whole bird on my OTS 22.5". I did it on the coal rack as suggested by a friend, it was awesome. This was the only pic I got of it though :doh:. I need some more practice with this whole food pron thing.

DSC00902.jpg

Yours looks great also Turbo :thumb:

Back