What is your favorite smoking wood?

Beerbecue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
After years of buying bags of Mesquite, Pecan, Cherry, and Hickory, I found that I already had the best smoking wood ever right in my own back yard. Manzanita! Manzanita is a large shrub that grows wild here in my western Sierra foothills It has a beautiful smooth red bark. Very dense and hard wood, the branches are 1 to 3" inches in diameter so they are easy to cut into chunks. The smoke flavor is not as heavy as Mesquite and goes well with all meats that I have tried it on.
What is your favorite wood? and does it grow naturally in your neck of the woods?

I have around 40 acre of hardwood forest . hickory , different oaks , maples but for me hickory

The wood I use most often is Pecan.

CD

I like 'em all, but hickory is definitely my go-to.

I love apple and sugar maple but I tried smoking a chicken over pecan shells and it was fabulous.

If I had to pick just one I'd say apple because I have a few apple trees in my yard that I can thin out plus I do like the flavor.

I've never heard of Manzanita.

With a pecan tree in my yard, I use a lot of it. But I gear my wood choice to the meat I'm cooking.

I like a mix of Pecan, Hickory, Apple, and/or Cherry for most cooks. I use very small chunks spread throughout the basket in the UDS and the Gourmet.

Works great for me.

**Edit** if we're talking about one choice, I'd go with Pecan all day long.

IMG_0335a.jpg

If I had to only pick one..... it would be this one. Heheheee.
Yes, that's cherry.

Apple,cherry on some meats.Alder on some others.All around go to wood.Pecan.It all grows around here.EXECEPT the Alder.

My go to is usually wild apple, but I enjoy black cherry as well...depending on what's being smoked.

I'd have to say of all that I've tried, I like cherry and apple the best.
I have enough cherry that I actually burn a lot of it for firewood. I probably have about 8 - 40'-60' tall trees, from 8"-12" diameter to cut down in the back of the property too. I get my apple from the large apple orchard that my property literally backs up to. I know that family that owns it and they have a huge burn pile of storm damage and trimmings just on the other side of my property line.:becky:

I've become a huge fan of Black Jack oak. Post oak is my alternate. They are the best all around wood I ever used.

My fav is hickory But use pecan with it cuz wife does not like strong smoke. But it seems fine to me. Also got some cherry and apple.

If we had to settle on just one, it would be pecan. We do like to use cherry, apple, and hickory.

Back