• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Nailed dem Beef Short Ribs (Pron)

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne
G'Day Bruces'

Well, I think I can finally say it... I can do BBQ...:thumb: This Q turned out exactly how I'd hoped and for the first time, maybe this would find it'sd way onto a BBQ menu, it was that good... :becky:

I wanted to enter something for the "Something you eat with your hands" TD, and As soon as I saw this... I knew what to do...

DSC_0251_1702.jpg

Nice and chunky...
DSC_0252_1703.jpg

Anyway, I didn't want to use a store bought rub for this, so I made my own. Since there have been a few threads on rubs and sauces recetly, I just closed my eyes and chucked stuff together.

I started with SmokeJumpers Chilteplin Chili's and some Szhechun peppercorns. these were toasted gently and then added to the rest of the mix...
DSC_0253_1704.jpg

Here's the mix...
DSC_0254_1705.jpg

Here's the recipe... hope you like it... it turned out super...
DSC_0258_1709.jpg

Then applied the rub with a bit of EVOO and let them sit for a few hours.
DSC_0257_1708.jpg

Fired up the COS and put them on at about 280F... this pic about 1hour in
DSC_0261_1712.jpg

While the short ribs were doing their thing, I got three friends of mine...
DSC_0264_1715.jpg

Full bottle of stout, 1/4 cup of Malt Vinegar and 2 big dessert spoons of Molasses. Into a pot, brought to the boil and simeer 20 mins.

Then after the short ribs had been in for about 2.5hours , I added the braising mixture to the ribs in my big bain-marie pan and covered with foil
DSC_0271_1722.jpg

There was just enough mix to cover the bottom of the pan and this resulted in a gentle steaming of the ribs. They were in here for about 1.5 hours.

DSC_0276_1727.jpg

DSC_0278_1729.jpg

Then I placed the ribs back onto the offset at about 200F, and drained the braising fluid and all the beef juiced into a saucepan. I drained off the fat and reduced on high heat to make a glaze..
DSC_0281_1732.jpg

Another 30 mins, and they were sooooooo ready to eat...

DSC_0284_1735.jpg

DSC_0285_1736.jpg

DSC_0286_1737.jpg

DSC_0287_1738.jpg

And then onto the eating...

And man, were they good!
DSC_0295_1746.jpg

Son number 2 was happy to pose for a photo eating with his hands...

And Daugher number 1... took this photo!
DSC_0299_1750.jpg

So... how did they taste???

Well, frankly they were so tender, no kidding... That 1 hour slow braise made all the difference. The intensity of the beef was huge, brought out by the beer glaze.. They were smokey, sweet, hot, and very complex in flavour... almost like chocolate, no joke...

Final pic... number 2 son again...

DSC_0304_1755.jpg

This is a dish we sure will be doing again!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

Bill

Great job so far Bill.

(If only you could Twitter as good as you Que)

Great job so far Bill.

(If only you could Twitter as good as you Que)

Thx Larry, I'll get the hang of this Twitter thang soon... Forgot to mention, I did some research for short ribs on the forum and saw posts from yourself and Landarc which helped this dish immensely. I ended up doing my own thing, but your posts set me on the path... Thx!

Wow, those look incredible! Love the use of Szechuan peppers, although I'm curious if they ended up having the same "numbing" effect they can have on some dishes. I've had some dishes so loaded with Szechuan peppers that I feel like I have been shot up with novocaine! Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff!
Awesome pics.

Outstanding! That really looks fantastic. It's never occurred to me to try short ribs - gotta put it on the list of things to do - thanks for posting.

Wow, those look incredible! Love the use of Szechuan peppers, although I'm curious if they ended up having the same "numbing" effect they can have on some dishes. I've had some dishes so loaded with Szechuan peppers that I feel like I have been shot up with novocaine! Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff!
Awesome pics.

You're right about Szechuan Peppercorns. If you toast them though, and mix them in as a less prominent ingredient, you will get a lift from them but they won't blow your brains out. I was more worried about those Chilteplin Chilis I got from SmokeJumper, but in the end, all the flavours married really well.

Cheers!

Bill

Back