Here is a person selling plans , has anyone ordered these plans ?I thought about making a lowball offer as I am sure it is info. off of here or possibly someone here selling the plans.
Just curious,
Raz
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150306946036&ssPageName=ADME:X:BOCOR:US:1123

BTW: I am new here and would like to build a UDS , just being on the cheap side,I am waiting for the grates to show up for cheap.From somewhere ,the junkyard,Goodwill,garage sale,dumpster or something.

You don't need the plans....I had them before I found this site. Best thing is to read the thread and jot stuff down or copy and paste it into a document as you go. Then you'll have all you need and th background of WHY.
Doesn't mean you have to listen to alll of it...I didn't...but UDS is working so far.

Do they have Craigslist in Iowa? Good for picking up old grills and stuff.

Here is a person selling plans , has anyone ordered these plans ?I thought about making a lowball offer as I am sure it is info. off of here or possibly someone here selling the plans.
Just curious,
Raz
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150306946036&ssPageName=ADME:X:BOCOR:US:1123

BTW: I am new here and would like to build a UDS , just being on the cheap side,I am waiting for the grates to show up for cheap.From somewhere ,the junkyard,Goodwill,garage sale,dumpster or something.

I bought my grate for $10 at sears. Just cooked on it this weekend. Made country style ribs. I have 3 3/4" holes around the bottom. Used flat rubber magnets to manage the air. once I set it it held perfect for hours. Still a lot of lump left in the basket too.

Later
JimC

Ill bet that this is the same guy from a couple of months ago who was trying to sell a completed UDS on e bay. Once he was sufficiently chastised and harassed, he is taking another angle

What do the dome lids you all are using measure ? Or what does your drum you have it on measure?

The dome lids are 22" weber kettle lids. They are hit and miss on fitting drums. Local drums require bending lip on lid. I found that a Kingsford lid fits without modding it. Swampb cuts a section off a kettle and sets it on drum lip.
IMG_0016.jpg

Yep sfbbqguy thats the bar alright, lots of drinkin and thinking (mostly drinkin) takes place at "the bar".
I brew my own allgrain homebrew beer and have it in kegs and on tap in the beer fridge, its all located on the back porch so we can eat and drink whilst contemplating life and watching the kids kill each other :lol:

got a nice Czeck pilsener on tap at the moment and am just about to have one,

Cheers Steve.

Just so we keep it "on topic" I'm certain that you're talking (thinking) (mostly drinking) about the UDS while consuming said beverages at "bar"!!

Homebrew...now that's another forum in an of itself!! Yet a worthwhile one!

Just to keep it clean...is it a 55 gallon drum down there? Or some kind of metric hybrid? And what's the metric equivelant of 225 degrees in your drum?

Remember now that the elections are over, to do your part in recycling. Those lawn signs for your favorite candidate usually have a nice wire in it. Pitch the sign and use that wire for a handle for your UDS charcoal basket.:p

Remember now that the elections are over, to do your part in recycling. Those lawn signs for your favorite candidate usually have a nice wire in it. Pitch the sign and use that wire for a handle for your UDS charcoal basket.:p
:biggrin:

Just so we keep it "on topic" I'm certain that you're talking (thinking) (mostly drinking) about the UDS while consuming said beverages at "bar"!!

Homebrew...now that's another forum in an of itself!! Yet a worthwhile one!

Just to keep it clean...is it a 55 gallon drum down there? Or some kind of metric hybrid? And what's the metric equivelant of 225 degrees in your drum?

Ive been thinking (and drinking) about a UDS for nearly 6 months at da bar.
In Auz we call them 44 gallon drums or 44s, they seem to be a bit smaller then the ones I see you guys using.
225 F is 107 Celcius, most meat thermometers here are marked in both farenheight and celsius so no probs with converting,
cant wait to do some cooking, Kangaroo ribs? kangaroo roast? :lol:

Cheers Steve.

The dome lids are 22" weber kettle lids. They are hit and miss on fitting drums. Local drums require bending lip on lid. I found that a Kingsford lid fits without modding it. Swampb cuts a section off a kettle and sets it on drum lip.

So it measures 22 inches or it a little bigger?

I was thinking target practice myself.

ji2s6u.jpg

Hey Dr KY what is the actual term for this trying to find something like it.

I don't know the actual name, I went into the shop at work and told them what I wanted to do and they handed it to me. I call it a big-ol fat wire brush.

From what I can tell my top measures 22 1/2 inches. Has anyone else got a dome lid to fit on a this size of drum or am I giong to have to make one?

From what I can tell my top measures 22 1/2 inches. Has anyone else got a dome lid to fit on a this size of drum or am I giong to have to make one?

You can make it fit, I used pliers to straighten the curve of the Weber Lid. Then I placed it over the Rolled top of the UDS and used a rubber mallet to fit it around. My Weber lid will fit alone on the UDS and seals pretty good, but I feel better using the Drum Clamp with a quick grip c-clamp to get a perfect seal while I am smoking.

jpg.gif

jpg.gif

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48099

Last edited:
Back