Can dogs eat pork shoulder bones?

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I don't have a dog but I have a nice bone from the shoulder and I was gonna give it to my buddy who has a boxer. They are leaving soon.

I don't know - I've heard different answers, and I think there may be a difference of whether or not it's been cooked, but I really don't know. I will say this though - I'm thinking of saving up shoulder bones to make pork stock with. I made stock from the bones of a whole hog cook and it worked great for making sausage, beans, jambalaya etc.

You don't want to give dogs (especially large ones) cooked bones as they are likely to splinter. You want to only give them raw bones.

Yeah I go the route GTR is taking with my pork shoulder bones. Ham bones too. I just use stock rather than a soup bone and some water. In the end every pork bone that we finished gnawing on gets thrown into a freezer bag, and once that bag is full I just cook it all down into stock. I used to store it all in two cup portions in the deep freezer, but I've started to can them now. Leaves more space in the freezer.

My grandfather always gave pork bones to the dogs, but never chicken bones unless they were raw. Pork and beef bones he said were good, and they never had an issue. Every dog that old codger had lived until they were 15 years old at least it seemed. Unless they were bitten by a snake or something.

my bull dog just knawed back a shoulder bone, if those dogs are ok im sure all others will be.

I have a Golden Retreiver and a mutt. Everytime I cook Boston butts they get the blade bones after being cooked. They also get all the rib bones after we are finished with them. The mutt dog is 14 yrs old and the retreiver is 2 and never had a problem. With that being said, I do not give them cooked chicken bones because I was told by the Vet to only give them raw chicken bones.

Another thought, at every pet store and every grocery store I've been in, they sell smoked bones(mostly beef) for dogs.

Yep okay, I just called my cousin who is a Veterinarian over in Austin, and he says he feeds his dogs smoked pork and beef bones all the time. He said the issue is whenever you're braising in a lot of liquid or boiling them. If they're being cooked down in a crock pot, or you made stock from them that's a no go. If they're just smoked or oven roasted, they're okay.

He said that chicken bones are a no go if they're cooked in any way, shape, or form.
Take it for what it's worth, in my COMPLETELY unbiased opinion :)heh:) he knows his chit. Makes enough damn money from all those critters anyway.

Our German Sheppard has eaten pork butt bones for many years.

I never saw the bones splinter or break, they just seem to slowly disappear.

The only bones my girl don't get are chicken bones even though she has ate a few chickens
I didn't kill no chicken it was that dam cat
PHOT0245Modified.jpg

I gave my dog a blade bone one time. He devoured it. Now he gets excited when I start the smoker because he knows what's coming.

When I started BBQing, I would give the blade bones and rib bones to a jack russell terrier. He would literally eat them like they were jerky. He has some strong jaws and teeth lol. The issue came a few hours later when he would get sick and puke up all the bone pieces. So I stopped feeding them to him. Just an occasional beef rib bone, and that wasn't very often. He would gnaw on a beef bone without "inhaling" it.

So I'd say it depends on the dog.

Pig bones won't hurt them but usually cause digestion issues. I stopped feeding my dogs shoulder blades and ribs after having to let them outside several times at night. Never chicken bones as they create a web of splinters and could suffocate your dog. Beef bones are best as they are hard as a rock and take time to chew and digest.

I don't. My guy has a very powerful set of chompers and nearly any bone I give him will chip off or splinter, and rather than put him in danger and have a huge vet bill I just don't go there. He gets Nylabones instead, which are safe and made for dogs.

The only bones my girl don't get are chicken bones even though she has ate a few chickens
I didn't kill no chicken it was that dam cat
PHOT0245Modified.jpg

I believe her! The cat was obviously rabid too. Otherwise it would've never tried with a bird that large and that potentially dangerous.

Cooked bones, never.
Raw bones sure.
In a raw food diet for dogs, raw bones are an important part, but they stress only use non-weight baring bones.
This being a Que site, I'd try a dog-site (like Leerburg Kennels) for a more informed opinion.

I wouldn't. After a trip to the vet and a nasty bill, I would not risk small bone slivers. I definitely would not feed them pigs ears.

My Jack Russell/Rat terrier mix gets shoulder blades bones all the time. Loves 'em and never had an issue with them. He gnaws on them until they're gone, never pukes 'em up, no issues on the other end either.

The only problem is he likes to leave those porcine scapulas at the bottom of the steps into the garage. Laid me up for a week once when I stepped on the farking thing.

When I started BBQing, I would give the blade bones and rib bones to a jack russell terrier. He would literally eat them like they were jerky. He has some strong jaws and teeth lol. The issue came a few hours later when he would get sick and puke up all the bone pieces. So I stopped feeding them to him. Just an occasional beef rib bone, and that wasn't very often. He would gnaw on a beef bone without "inhaling" it.

So I'd say it depends on the dog.

x2 My mutt would devour the bone in no time and then return it a little while later. Sorry Rocky, no bones for you.

You can never be too cautious with dogs - the vet bills are horrendous.

The only cooked bones I give my dog are osso bucco - she loves getting the marrow out of the middle - or the remnants of a roast lamb joint, but I have to watch her & take it away as soon as she's got the meat off, otherwise she will chomp them up into splinters.

Back