I think this story about Vegas needs telling!

Grizmt

Got Wood.
Reaction score
:mod: Last weekend in Vegas something happened that epitomizes what BBQ is/was supposed to be all about. There was a Rib throwdown as a fundraiser for Autism (it is Autism awareness month). This contest comprised of just plain old folks, parents and relatives of kids with Autism. These young kids were walking around selling CD's for $10 while the "competitors" got things started with the ribs on donated BBQ grills.
There was this mother there with her probably 8-9 yr old son and she was competing but had not a clue on how to do anything. The equipment she brought was a bottle of bbq sauce, a can of beer and a hope of making it through this and having some fun but you could see she was nervous since again, she'd never messed with this before and had no clue.
Well that was until they met Mark from Hog Pit Smokehouse in Tucson,AZ.

He immediately took a liking to these two, saw the obvious confusion in the mom and took them under his wing. Even though he had to be tired from doing the comp and everything else he offered to help them through it and proceeded to teach her young SON how to make competition ribs.

He took them into his rig, taught them to do a Hollywood cut on the ribs, provided rub for the ribs and talked them through the cooking process with them every step of the way.
He then walked them through the finishing touches and proper boxing for turn in IBCA style since this was being judged by "real" judges.

When this was all done you should've seen the boy's eyes gleaming that HE had done the ribs and now knows how it's done and mom (what a nice lady btw) was so proud. I don't even think they cared if they won, it was all about the process and fun.
When the cook was over they did a PC thing and her ribs sold out before anyone else, she was totally shocked!
While they were waiting for awards and such (the first prize was a $1500 Lang bbq) Mark went over and got Ray (Dr. BBQ) and brought him over to meet these two. Mom was tickled pink when she heard who the Dr was and couldn't believe she was actually talking to him (I know right?).
When awards came guess what???
SHE WON the BBQ!!!!!
Mark, as you know Autism is a big thing in our lives so I can't say thank you enough for jumping in and showing this kid (and mom) that even though he's not Neuro-Typical he can do anything he puts his mind to and CAN be a winner!!!! :clap::clap::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:
Thank you! :third:
I would put you up for a Smokey Angel award but I'm not a KCBS member and yes I know you don't do what you do for that.

A great story, the kind that makes you proud to be in that kind of community.

That is so awesome. As a parent of two autistic kids, I say "thank you" from the bottom of my heart.

I love the idea of a BBQ fund raiser. Anyone have contact info on this event and ideas on how to go about organizing such a thing?

That was awesome!! My nephew is autistic and after reading this story really makes me proud of all the obstacles my nephew has and will overcome. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story!!!

Back