Brisket on WSM

Brisket on WSM: Fat side up or fat side down?

• Fat side up

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Fat side down

Votes: 46 51.1%
  • I've tried both with equal results

Votes: 16 17.8%

• Total voters
I've been doing fat side down for a while now and they have been turning out great.

I vote fat side down, as this is how I cook on my WSM and offset. The theory of the fat layer protecting the meat from the heat makes sense to me.

Question though, I have a Backwoods party on the way. Would a backwoods cooker need to be fat up or fat down? Seems like its heat source is coming from top and bottom.

I cook fat side down. Never thought about how I placed it in the cooler. I will try fat up in cooler.

I voted both. But I've recently been doing them fat down and really have noticed a positive difference.

I trim 'em pretty close, and go fat cap up on the CG. Have not tried one in the vertical yet.

What a downer!

Fat side down is the only way to go in a WSM!!!

:mrgreen:

JimT

I am suprised. I am new to smoking and have not done brisket yet but I have made a pastrami from a corned beef. Main experience is grilling tri-tips and those are done fat up so when the fat renders out it goes in to the meat also keep flare ups down to a minimum. Smoking is obvioulsy different. You are not going to render fat all the way out. I will try it fat down next time.

Crap, I thought Leebo was back!

Yeah - I was gonna thank Leebo again for this thread. I've been doing mine cap down on the WSM and haven't noticed any discernable difference. Could be because of my foil blanket mod though.

Fat cap up on lower level.... water pan protected.

Back