HELP! Needing advice on getting more smoke on my Weber kettle...

elm

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hello everybody! I have been wood-grilling (direct) with my Weber kettle grills for a number of years now and have just recently started longer, indirect grilling for salmon (at about 300-325 degrees)...long story, but I bought some alder chips, soaked them ahead of time like I always do with wood chips, but had a heck of a time getting them to actually smoke once on the lit coals. Is this normal for alder? I'm wondering if an alder wood CHUNK would be better for this application...

Anyway, that brings up another question...you being the experts, what is your preferred method of smoking with a Weber kettle? Chips? Chunks? And what is your preferred configuration for using them? Thanks in advance for your advice!

We pretty much run with chunks at all times here, for example i would use about a half a pound of wood for ribs, probably close to a pound for bigger cuts. You my find people saying use fist size chunks of wood which will be close to 2 to 3 oz of weight per chunk. On a kettle go lighter on the wood like for my half pound on ribs back that down to a quarter pound. For your salmon start with 1 chunk then go up from there, you can over smoke easily.

Last edited:
We pretty much run with chunks at all times here, for example i would use about a half a pound of wood for ribs, probably close to a pound for bigger cuts. You my find people saying use fist size chunks of wood which will be close to 2 to 3 oz of weight per chunk. On a kettle go lighter on the wood like for my half pound on ribs back that down to a quarter pound. For your salmon start with 1 chunk then go up from there, you can over smoke easily.

^ +1 I agree...... Wood chunks will impart much more flavor then chips. Also Alder is a milder wood which is great for seafood and other delicately flavored foods which can easily be overpowered by smoke flavors.

I would suggest that for other meats like pork and beef you use a wood with a slightly stronger flavor.... Apple, Cherry, Hickory all great woods for imparting a little more smoke flavor.

Ditto on the chunks. Pecan is also nice.
Indirect is the way to go, but remember that time is also a factor. The slower you cook, the more time for smoke to develop.

what is your preferred method of smoking with a Weber kettle? Chips? Chunks? And what is your preferred configuration for using them? Thanks in advance for your advice!

As has been said, chunks. I prefer pieces about 1x1x2.

For longer cooks I build a snake around the perimeter with the chunks imbedded every 6 inches or so (works out to about a chunk per hour). For shorter cooks (like fish) I just set up the cooker with a small indirect fire, usually with a firebrick or two and feed the chunks to the hot coals as needed.

Oh yea, IMO "soaking" does not accomplish anything.

EDIT You might find this thread helpful.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191640&page=2

Chunks. Chips will burn away in a few minutes and would be useful for grilling when food is only on the grate for a few minutes.

If you have some cherry, try that with salmon. It pairs really well!

long story, but I bought some alder chips, soaked them ahead of time like I always do with wood chips, but had a heck of a time getting them to actually smoke once on the lit coals. Is this normal for alder?

Are you looking to see the smoke, or are you just not tasting it? You really don't want to see much smoke because that means that the fire isn't burning cleanly.

But, as mentioned, chunks will last longer and provide more flavor. You may not see smoke, but it is still there.

Use more wood:doh: I put a split on the grate and lay my coals behind it smoky goodness is never lacking

Back