Used Party Gator advice needed...

Chopper Duke

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So I've decided that the old COS is out and have been looking for a replacement that won't break the bank. In my search I happened across a used Party Gator. Here are the images the current/ only owner sent me. My concerns are the rust on the firebox and what appears to be a rather dirty interior though he just texted me that he's cleaning it and painting the firebox. He said it's 5 years old with 12 smokes.

Pics:
CA_12311322153499.jpg

CA_12311322154757.jpg

CA_12311322162980.jpg

CA_12311322165331.jpg

Thoughts from the Brethren?

Yup looks like a good smoker from here.

Looks like a nice cooker to me. I'd buy it as is for cheaper and clean and paint it yourself. Might have some bargaining leverage that way.

Looks like on Gator Website that one runs $1550 plus $275 gas assist.... ? So assuming it is 5 cooks and just surface rust on firebox and all else real good shape then anything under $800-$900 seems like a deal, of course we all wanna pay as little as possible.........

My Texas Smokemaster looked just like that when I bought it for $200 5 years ago. Cook chamber has good paint but firebox looked rusted. It still looks the same but works great. It should clean up nice. As always it depends on the price.

He said it was this one and here's what he has listed:
Main cooking chamber is all new steel pipe 1/4" thick x 20" diameter x 40" long. Main cooking chamber has two cooking levels; a lower level sliding pull out food grate and a upper level split two-piece food grate for versatility. On the upper level this allows the front half to be removed leaving only the back half. A side access door on the main cooking chamber provides access to a charcoal grate to allow you to easily add charcoal during cooks using direct heat. Indirect heat cooking is done using the firebox. There is a 1-1/2 " grease drain provided with a lever handled brass valve. All doors have stainless steel cool-touch handles and 1" flanges on all four sides for a tight seal. A stainless steel 3" dial easy-to-read temperature gauge is fitted to the main door. The 1/4" thick x 20" long x 20" round firebox has a heavy duty stainless steel removable wood grate and an adjustable air-intake vent. There is a fold down full length angle framed front shelf and a side shelf over the firebox for stove top like cooking. An expanded metal lower log rack is framed in 2" angle iron. Pit is equipped with two heavy-duty fixed wheels and two heavy-duty swivel wheels for mobility. Also provided is propane gas assist for the firebox consisting of piping, removable tank holder, and 1/2" brass control valve. Propane tank, hose and regulator are not included.

So I'm guessing, based on pics and description, he added the Fold Down full length angle framed front shelf ($85), Gator Pit's adjustable birdhouse smokestack with stainless steel cool-touch handle ($75.00) and the propane gas assist firebox ($525)

Link:
http://www.gatorpit.net/backyard_pits/party_gator.htm

He said it was this one and here's what he has listed:

So I'm guessing, based on pics and description, he added the Fold Down full length angle framed front shelf ($85), Gator Pit's adjustable birdhouse smokestack with stainless steel cool-touch handle ($75.00) and the propane gas assist firebox ($525)

Link:
http://www.gatorpit.net/backyard_pits/party_gator.htm

You are right and it was more $ new and a lil bigger than I thought - so its worth more used - It is Definately a Qaulity Pit and if it's in a price range you are comfortable with I'd go check it out. :thumb: if it's more than you are wanting to spend there will be others.

I have one roughly the same age and it's a great pit. The big question: What's he want for it?

Being in Georgia Id get me a Lang?

There's a billboard in South Georgia advertising for them so I've been aware of the brand for years. I was strongly looking at them and if this falls through I may go with one.

I have one roughly the same age and it's a great pit. The big question: What's he want for it?

He's asking $800 firm for it. I feel that's a fair price.

No matter what you do the firebox will get some rust on it because the heat burns off any paint eventually. A good sandblasting and some high temp paint will make it look new for a while. You can also steam clean the inside and re-season if you want.

I'd offer $700 to "take it off of his hands" and see what he says.

I'd give $800 - if it is as nice as he says. I'd of done gone and seen it cuz probally won't last Dallas area CL Is full of junk pits for A lot more $ right now!! Bunch of Crack Monkeys around here.......

I would get 800$ bail money out of my safe and be the owner of a Gator Pit. Today

Told the guy I'll take it. Gotta wait until tomorrow to pick it up since I have to use my father in laws truck and trailer to get it.

Cool! Be sure the post more pics of it, of any mods you do and of course your cooks on it! :thumb:

Back