• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I plan on taking some 6061 sheet metal and doing something similar, using a slip roller to get the radius right and mount it to the front of the UDS using stand offs.

Pics to come when it is finished

UDS man shade...
Pretty sweet (as in light on the feet). Show us your Rainbow Drum Big guy.:mrgreen:
attachment.php

I have two drums that I have been planning to build a double barrel smoker with using the wood stove conv. kits for ( you guys I am sure have seen the plans ) Well after reading this thread for the last week or so, these UDS look easier to build, use, and much less expensive so now I am torn!! What are some opinions out there on the UDS v.s Double Barrel ?? and secondly is it best to cut both ends of the drum out on the UDS, seems I have seen it both ways (unless I am mistaken) Thanks!!!

Hey Tangled Up In Q,
A lot less work to build a UDS.
Less expensive is my guess.
Cutting both ends depends on what you plan on doing with the bottom of the drum.

My first drum I did that to make it real easy to lift the drum off of a stand that had the charcoal basket on it and clean the ashes up. But I never got a good seal, though I think it is possible. It did not hold temps very well sometimes and just was not good enough. These things really need to be pretty airtight to work well.

Another way is like Jaranimo did which was to build a short little drum out of a donor and weld a lid with the center cut out to the bottom of the UDS. Then you set the UDS on the little drum which is your charcoal basket. I like the idea just cannot do that welding and really don't want to pay for it.

So my second drum has the bottom still there and I built a charcoal basket with an ash pan that I can lift out and clean up. No trying to scrape the ashes out of the bottom of the drum, lazy old fat guy mod, I guess.

I also built a UDG (grill) for steaks, burgers and the like.

Got my Charcoal Basket done this past weekend.

I finally got to burn my barrel tonight after work. The last couple of weeks has been very dry here with very high fire danger. Finally it rained yesterday and today but stopped late this morning. I took advantage of the break in the rain.

Just got done putting about a 4 hour hurt on the Drum. I'll post more pics when I get her brushed up a bit.

Attachments

• smallCIMG2223.JPG
    smallCIMG2223.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,528
  • smallCIMG2278.JPG
    smallCIMG2278.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,515
  • smallCIMG2277.JPG
    smallCIMG2277.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,509
  • smallCIMG2274.JPG
    smallCIMG2274.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,515
  • smallCIMG2242.JPG
    smallCIMG2242.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,513
  • smallCIMG2234.JPG
    smallCIMG2234.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,521
  • smallCIMG2229.JPG
    smallCIMG2229.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,520
The basket looks good Tank.
However, you may want to rethink the chain thing unless you are going to use a hook
or enjoy wearing a dirty shirt.

Nice burn too.

Weiser

Got my Charcoal Basket done this past weekend.

I finally got to burn my barrel tonight after work. The last couple of weeks has been very dry here with very high fire danger. Finally it rained yesterday and today but stopped late this morning. I took advantage of the break in the rain.

Just got done putting about a 4 hour hurt on the Drum. I'll post more pics when I get her brushed up a bit.

After cooking on Hog-Que-Holics mammoth 96 gallon 2742-2's at the Klose class last weekend, he brought 2 of the 3 he's built- I had to step it up a notch or two.

Here is the Hogman and the Behemoth!

IMG_0348.jpg

Next to my puny 2339-2!

IMG_0349.jpg

With David Klose-Legendary pitbuilder!

IMG_0314.jpg

Those 26" grates are awesome! So - being the cheap bastard I am, unwilling to buy a new one from Grainger like Hoggy- I went to the source! Al's Drums and Barrels on Airport Way in Seattle. Al has been in the business for 60+ years and his father founded Seattle Cooperage in 1916!! He said he rarely gets 96 gallon drums, but does come across 110 gallon drums but they are in high demand in Alaska. He had new 85 gallon 27"x39.5" for $160 or a reconditioned for $80-guess which one I got?

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

I've wanted to make a Mini with a Weber Smokey Joe and the 14" lid fits perfect on this 15 gallon drum.

IMG_0375.jpg

Unlined - but the exterior paint has got to go. $100 cash out the door $41 for 26" Weber replacement grates ordered and we be gettin' down!
IMG_0376.jpg

The basket looks good Tank.
However, you may want to rethink the chain thing unless you are going to use a hook
or enjoy wearing a dirty shirt.

Nice burn too.

Weiser

Thanks Weiser.

I plan on using a hook on the basket. I had the chain kicking around. I will probably go with a t-bar type rig sooner or later though.

The barrel had mango concentrate in it. I did not notice until tonight that it had a sticker on it that read " Feb 12 2009" so I got a youngun.

It had a light tan liner not very thick in it. It looked like it burned out nice. I just put the barrel back in the garage and took a hand brush to it and it was coming off great.

I might just be smokin by sunday!!:biggrin:

Last edited:
I like doing a burn out in the drizzle and fog so the FD or homeowners don't know it is even happening. No smoke to be seen!!!

Attachments

• DSC03329.jpg
    DSC03329.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,461
I have two drums that I have been planning to build a double barrel smoker with using the wood stove conv. kits for ( you guys I am sure have seen the plans ) Well after reading this thread for the last week or so, these UDS look easier to build, use, and much less expensive so now I am torn!! What are some opinions out there on the UDS v.s Double Barrel ?? and secondly is it best to cut both ends of the drum out on the UDS, seems I have seen it both ways (unless I am mistaken) Thanks!!!

why would you build a double barrel when you can have 2 UDS's... :biggrin: :eusa_clap :icon_cool

I like doing a burn out in the drizzle and fog so the FD or homeowners don't know it is even happening. No smoke to be seen!!!

Does this make the barrel rust right away before you can wash it / season it etc.?

I thought about burning in the light rain too but figured it would create more work for myself. ????

Here is some more info about the drums that I have.
When I was cleaning the drum on the outside I discovered a sort of stamp at the bottom.
It´s not a very good picture but it says:Colvinsa (manufacturer in Colombia of barrels and such), 4(with dash above and under), Q-12-08.
Probably this barrel was made in December 2008.
Couple of days ago I opened de screw cap on top and shined with a small LED light in.
It indeed contained palm oil,there is a lil bit of white stuff left on the bottom.
Hmmmm...barrel+white stuff+Colombia......:wink:
The inside of the barrel doesn't seem to have a coating it looks quite blank.
If so,will a good cleaning with a degreaser work,wirebrush it after and clean it again?
The outside has a good paintjob on it and I really wanna contain it.

Last edited:
why would you build a double barrel when you can have 2 UDS's... :biggrin: :eusa_clap :icon_cool

Ya know I guess I let the novelty of building and having one get the best of me... When what I really want is the best functional cooker!! So after reading this thread, and my own doubts of just how well the double will actually work I am now ready to start cutting the drums.. Gotta lot of grate ideas from here!

Hey Tangled Up In Q,
A lot less work to build a UDS.
Less expensive is my guess.
Cutting both ends depends on what you plan on doing with the bottom of the drum.

My first drum I did that to make it real easy to lift the drum off of a stand that had the charcoal basket on it and clean the ashes up. But I never got a good seal, though I think it is possible. It did not hold temps very well sometimes and just was not good enough. These things really need to be pretty airtight to work well.

Another way is like Jaranimo did which was to build a short little drum out of a donor and weld a lid with the center cut out to the bottom of the UDS. Then you set the UDS on the little drum which is your charcoal basket. I like the idea just cannot do that welding and really don't want to pay for it.

So my second drum has the bottom still there and I built a charcoal basket with an ash pan that I can lift out and clean up. No trying to scrape the ashes out of the bottom of the drum, lazy old fat guy mod, I guess.

I also built a UDG (grill) for steaks, burgers and the like.

If you have a drum with the lip roll still on it and the Weber lid,will there be smoke dripping between the lip and lid?
My plan is a lil bit similar to Jarinimo and yours ,I want to make the top of the drum fit perfectly on the lower charcoal basket part of the drum.
Just as perfect as the lid sits on the drum.
Rough sketch:

Last edited:
Hey Phubar,
Here are the three lids I have.

The first one has a rod welded around the edge and a flat bar welded to the rod as a lip. It was only spot welded so I used high temp sealant to stop it from leaking. It turned out a bit heavy with the rod and the flat bar being added, but works fine and give me plenty of room on the top grate.

The second is a shorter one where I took a lid and cut the center out and welded it to a 6" bottom of a donor drum.

The third is just a lid. I use it only when cooking on the lower grate.

The fourth pic is a buddies drum where he cut the lip off to be able to use a weber lid. And you can see where the stuff runs. I am to anal to deal with that way of doing things, lol. I would be rubbing up against it and getting pissed.

Attachments

• DSC03057.jpg
    DSC03057.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,464
  • DSC03058.jpg
    DSC03058.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,461
  • SG102248.jpg
    SG102248.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,463
  • SG102299.jpg
    SG102299.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,460
I love the idea of using a lid and welding it to a donor bottom.

The lid is just a flat lid right? I have two drums I am going to use for donors because they are closed drums and I am getting a reconditioned drum with a removable lid for the real deal.

Wonder if I can find a spare lid? I would like the option of having the tall lid and the flat. ANy ideas on where to get just a flat lid?

I start my build this weekend. Instead of moding my brinkman, i will be building a new DS. I m buying a 55 gallon new food safe drum with no liner. It is 35 inches high and 23 wide. Here are my final plans. I had help from a friend who has about 6 of these things

6 x 3/4 inch intake holes 1.5 inches above base
hot coal grate 2 inches from base
about 2 feet above grate is my first cooking grate with 10 inches from lid
4 inches above that is the option for second cooking rack 6 inches from lid
the lid will have 8 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch holes on top for venting smoke.
Cutting board
painted black
on wheels

I was going to use ball valve but didnt want to spend 20$ for that and it was a lil to bulky for me. I will be using metal pipe plugs to cover vents.

LT, 6 3/4 inch intakes is waaaaaaaaaaaay tooooo much if I understand you post. Don't know what you researched to think that is appropriate. A second that would be more than enough for any temps you wanted to reach. JMHO, I would raise the grate to 3 inches above the bottom of the barrel to allow for ash accumulation. Do what you want but my suggestion is to go throught all the UDS pages and learn from everyone else's mistake and fixes.

Hey LT72884, I agree with Meat Burner, you won't need that much intake and you need a bit more room below the grate to let the air in.

Back