Someone is gonna yell at me for this purchase

D

Diamond D'z

:p Well I do enjoy slow and low all wood smoked ribs, brisket and butt......BUTT I did purchase the La Caja China today just because I love cracklin, cuban food & filipino food. the La Caja can cook a 70lb pig in less than 4 hrs and the skin is CRISPY.....Hey I am not trying to get off subject here but I think it will bring me some ethnic versatility to my arsenal.....ok now bash me people.........:eusa_clap

Nice choice, are you currently raising a little piglet to cook?

Post some detailed photos so all of us "cheapsters" can build our own!

Ha!

Heck, I enjoy all kinds of cooking... indoors and out... low n slow, hot'n fast etc... Enjoy the new cook'n contraption and post pics of that thing in action as well as the results...

James.

Ds:

I can think you make the fouth brother this week to make this purchase, present company included!

BTW: Let her yell! Did she not lose your digital camera?:twisted:

edit: you can get a smoke injector or pistol also.

The presentation of a whole pig is really hard to beat, but after seeing the Flay show where he had the throwdown with the dude from La Caja China I was impressed with the butts they cooked.

When picnics are on sale for $.99, 4 or 5 of those and a couple of turkeys would make for a major mojo party. I would love to own one but it's too damn windy in Wyoming. I might burn the house down with that much charcoal out in the open. They need a screen spark arrestor mod.

Question: I am cooking a pig in a couple of weeks and I need the head attached. Problem?

Thanks for the photo link! I missed it before.

This thing is somewhat like the charcoal oven we made in the Boy Scouts.
My troop would have great biscuits with our breakfast. Ours was much smaller but cooking principle was the same.(was scoutmaster for many years and we were famous for our good meals)

I have also seen a version that has an open bottom with coals under the pig. I was thinking about a modified version that had coals on top and bottom?? Dutch oven style.

How many ways are there to "roast a hog!" I love it!!!!!!!

OK, I must be dense. How do you get away with lighting a huge charcoal bed in a plywood box?

For all you guys out there that just bought your caja china - it works awesome - but 4 hours is a WRONG! Your hams on the pig will never be done. Also you can't open it at all. They make it look like you can but you can't - slows everything down by an hour or 2 depending on how long.

They do great butt's in there - i've done 6 at one time.

Invest in extra S hooks - you will need them.

It's good for roasting chickens too - I just put them on one of the beer can holders and you can about 10 depending on how big your box is.

The hardest part about cutting up a pig is having a tray to do it in. Family and friends set it on a table - no problem. Catering - have to have a tray you can catch grease and stuff like that. Very hard and expensive to find.

I love my China but I only use it 3 or 4 times a year because I like to smoke things so much more. Though now that they have the smoker mod that may change......

Back