BBQ Buffet

L

lazybonesmoke1

I am starting a bbq buffet at lunchtime. I need some different low cost ideas. Got any?

Without knowing your clientele or the size of the place I'd say:

Fried okra
Corn on the cob (half ears)
Baked beans
Cole slaw
Green beans (with bacon, of course!)
Bread/rolls
Sauces (may be already on each table?)
Sliced pickles (sweet, dill, fried...)
Salad fixins??

Arlin_MacRae said:
Without knowing your clientele or the size of the place I'd say:

Fried okra
Corn on the cob (half ears)
Baked beans
Cole slaw
Green beans (with bacon, of course!)
Bread/rolls
Sauces (may be already on each table?)
Sliced pickles (sweet, dill, fried...)
Salad fixins??
How about some meat to go with all that?

I was wondering what type of meats your serving on your buffett?

Make sure you have quality sides! Some folks might suggest skimping on the sides. The more potato salad, slaw, and beans consumed the less meat served and the healthier bottom line. I know what the deal is, but if it's good food I'll grab a little each trip through the line. BREAD!!! It's great for cleaning a plate, and from your side of the line...FILLING!

Have enough meat out on the serving line to keep the line moving, but no more. Keep the fresh sliced meat coming as needed. Tastier product= more repeat business.

If you don't already offer the option, consider a sandwich plate/to-go option. Approximately half the cost of the AYCE. Hamburger bun, choice of meat (ribs to go sold per rack or 1/2 rack etc.), 2-3 sides.

I don't run a restaurant, but that's based on the half dozen Q buffets I've been to more than once....and all of the things I mentioned are from the ONE place that does a good and steady business.

I am a carry out and delivery bbq joint. I don't have sit down so I am offering an All You Can Carry-Out Lunch Buffet. The cost is $6.99 you get a large carry out container and fill it up with what ever you want. The only rule is that the carry out must be able to close. The menu will change every week. The basic breakdown would be one poultry dish, one meat dish, one pasta dish, two starches, two vegetables, one ethnic dish ( maybe a lasagna made with pulled pork, perogies made with brisket, ,etc.) one or two desserts, an assortment of cold sides, cornbread, and whatever else I feel like making that week and whats fresh and cheap thru my purveyors. I just wanted some cool new ideas from across the U.S. that maybe are different than what I do here.

If I come, can I fill my carry-out container with just the meat offerings?:mrgreen:
Can you still do ok if a lot of us do that? I know I would if I could.

qman said:
If I come, can I fill my carry-out container with just the meat offerings?:mrgreen:
Can you still do ok if a lot of us do that? I know I would if I could.
Okay qman, it's guys like you that screw these things up for everybody.:wink:

Besides, Michigan is gonna be a pretty cold ride soon...Now Arizona on the other hand.....

bbqjoe said:
Okay qman, it's guys like you that screw these things up for everybody.:wink:

Yep, that would be me.:-D

I am using Babby back ribs from US foods and it was 1.29 a lb last time I got them and they were 2-4 bones pices great for my cattering It is cheep and good.

Were they frozen 2-4 bone rib pieces? $1.29 is a very good price. How long ago was that. I am looking for meats that cost about a dollar a pound.

Hey Joe, when I do come out there, you going to be running a special.
How about all I can eat for all you can charge?:mrgreen:

I think tomato pie is a great bbq side that's pretty cheap, and you can do it in full or half pans easily. Along with cole slaw and corn bread/waffles, and some good bbq meat, I'd be pretty happy with it all.

I used to run a joint that had a seafood buffet as well as meat choices. We would run roast beef ( put bottom round in your cooker and pull at 135-140, slice then hit it w/ au jus) ,mussels (big fave) comes in at about 55 cents a pound and of course fried whiting ( or whatever is cheapest that week). Don't forget sausage and peppers. Cut the peppers into 2" pieces then put them with pappers and onions in marinara. Mind you this was set up for tourists on a budget and we charged 8 bucks a head. Maybe in your neck of the woods you can get more. The majority of lunch folks will eat donkey snot for 8 bucks. Make nicer selections for dinner and you can get much more per head. Hope this helps.

qman said:
Hey Joe, when I do come out there, you going to be running a special.
How about all I can eat for all you can charge?:mrgreen:

Ask Bullelk about the " Brethren Platter"

bbqjoe said:
Try doing those cornbread waffles. That can't cost much!

Cornbread Waffles? I'm intrigued!!

Wait...I'm doing low-carb.

CUT THAT OUT JOE!!!

Back