View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #16
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wneill20 View Post
Hey do you have a recipe you would like to share?
Sure I'll share one. If you ever want a super cheap mac & cheese that doesn't use 2 bag$ of chee$e:

(I've made the real mac & cheese with bechamel and loads of cheese, topped with bread crumbs before--don't get me wrong I love the taste of it and make it from time to time.. but I am also pretty frugal and do with the boxed stuff--which can taste pretty good:)

Buy the 39 cent box of mac w/ powdered cheese from Aldi (if you shop there)--it's a really good mac:

Boil/cook the macaroni pasta

Add 4 tablespoons of butter to a sauce pan and start heating it up, then add 2 tablespoons of white flour. Cook the butter/flour until the flour is nutty, for a thin roux. Add 1 cup of milk, 2 cloves and cook on high until thickened (i.e. make a bechamel). Turn heat off but leave pan on burner. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar. Salt & Pepper the bechamel to taste--white pepper is prettier than black in this case but not necessary. Add the powder cheese packet. Throw in a single handful of sharp cheddar cheese. Mix in. The result should be a really thick, creamy, cheesy and very tasty. Remove the 2 cloves. Once your mac is done, stir it in.

If you want to bake it instead, just cook your mac al dente instead of fully and add enough water (or milk) into the cheese mixture to where it is soupy. Then bake at 350F for like 20-25 minutes (top with some mozerella cheese--it'll brown nicely).

Here is a pic of it:

It's pretty nice, you are really only adding a little more milk and 2 tablespoons of flour beyond the recipe on the back of the box, along with a single handful of sharp cheddar. Very inexpensive yet adds so much creamy cheesy sauce.