Brisket fail questions...

I would go fat cap down in a WSM. I am not at all sure it matters anymore.

The problem with pulling at 190°F and wrapping in foil and coasting, is that it might well work out sometimes, but, not always. It relies on a couple of factors, one you can control (internal temperature) and the other you can't (meat composition).

For instance...I recently had a cook of a CAB brisket, it was very well marbled and floppy. All indicators were that it was a perfect brisket. I cooked between 290°F and 315°F, it took every bit of 4 hours to hit the stall, and another 6 to push through it. Then it climbed very slowly to 200°F, and it was not at all done. At 14 hours, at high heat, it gave up the ghost, at nearly 215°F. It was juicy, tender, a perfect cook, except is was 9:30 p.m. That brisket would never have made it if I pulled at 190°F.

I would agree fat to the fire but if the heat is coming from underneath on my wsm why does the bark only really come on top? Is it because the heat is swirling up at the dome?
Latta good info here

May have to overcook one to figure it out. That's how I learned.

When I was struggling with my brisket, I made a commitment to "cook it until it was done".
It took all of my willpower to let it go, it went to 204* and boom- probe tender. I finally had a baseline to judge my briskets by feel and I don't look at one until it gets to ~197. Had a third place call at Pork in the Park. Still working on consistency, but always tender.

Trust the probe and the feel, you won't go wrong.

Funny you post that, I was thinking the next one ain't coming off until it's tender or charcoal. If I have to order Chinese food until it's done that sucka ain't coming get away next time

Take a large roaster pan. Set a grate on top of the roaster pan not inside. Keep 2-3 inches of liquid in the pan. Set brisket fat side up on grate. Cook brisket at 300+ till done, its done when its done forget about how long it takes cook till done. Best briskets are in the 10-12 l b range, anything bigger and its a very old cow.

Back