Primo Oval Jr and BGE comparison

Capnspunky

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am still on my hunt for a new Kamado style cooker and I was wondering if anyone had compared the Big Green Egg vs the Primo Oval Jr. I havent seen the oval in person yet but hope to later this week and I was little concerned about the size. I was wondering if perhaps anyone had cooked on both the LG BGE vs the Oval Jr and was curious about size comparisons. Generally I am just cooking for my wife and I so I dont think that it will be much of a problem bout occasionally I will cook for a slightly larger crowd and didnt know how much I could cram into the oval.

I was looking at the Oval XL vs the XL BGE .. I wound up going with the egg. I do like the elongated build of the Primo ... but I liked the people selling the egg - I think I would have been happy with either . I feel like there are more aftermarket toys for the egg and I also like that forum.

I've got an XL and a friend on my BBQ team uses a LBGE. I also really looked hard at the Jr. when I did my shopping, but went with the XL due to size. About 90% of my cooking is just for the family and I really appreciate the the room when I need to cook for more folks.

Given your two choices, I'd go with the BGE (452 sq inches of space) vs the Primo Jr. (310 sq inches). You'll appreciate the extra room.

What's the pricing for the BGE XL and the price on the Oval jr.
The price for a Oval XL is Around $1299 that's without cart or accessories.

Jrow

The Jr. is running about 699.00 and I was going to build a table for it.

Get yourself at least a "large" sized cooker regardless of which company you go with.

when I bought my Primo I read ever comparison I could find. Primo wins.

I would highly suggest the XL over the Jr. I cook for 1-2-3 on it all the time.

plus the egg is made in mexico, primo in Alabama ;)

In an ideal world I would get the xl over the Jr. but its a little more than I care to spend at the moment. I might bump up to Kamado, but I on the other hand I like the oval grill shape as well. Needless to say, I am a little confused. :)

If you are looking to be around the $700 dollar rage check out the Kamado Joe Classic. Same size as the LBGE and comes w/ nest and a few other extras. Quality is top notch!

I agree. I bought a Kamado Joe in December and have loved it. If you decide on not getting the Primo, definitely take a long look at the Big Joe or Classic Joe by Kamado Joe.

Also, all accessories for the KJ run a little cheaper as compared to the BGE.

Yeah, I don't think you can go wrong with any one of the 3. I would personally wait- big sales pop up from time to time, especially in the summer with bge's.

If you can afford it get the XL. I'm not sure about the egg put the Primo XL has a cast iron divider for the coal box that'll let you cook direct on one side of the grill for small cooks.

If you are looking to be around the $700 dollar rage check out the Kamado Joe Classic. Same size as the LBGE and comes w/ nest and a few other extras. Quality is top notch!

+1!!!

I have a friend who got one last year. Thing is farking amazing! I have smoker envy:tsk:

If you can afford it get the XL. I'm not sure about the egg put the Primo XL has a cast iron divider for the coal box that'll let you cook direct on one side of the grill for small cooks.

The KJ Big Joe has this and rumor is the Classic Joe will be getting it soon as well.

+1 on Kamado Joe. It can hold quite a bit and I'm consistently turning out good product.

New Year's Eve - 4 racks of Baby Backs + 1 Spares (1/2 on each end)
ypymu2u3.jpg

Super Bowl Sunday - two 9lb butts
uqy9udy8.jpg

Last edited:
Back