For ALL KCBS Members

I would have LIKED to receive Gene's email. I wish the other candidates would have spent the time to put a little more out there about themselves.

They all answered the questions, but I would have personally appreciated seeing more information (of personal interest to each individual candidate) than just the answers to specific questions.

That said, I suppose I could have sent personal emails to each of the candidates to find out the answers to MY questions, and I haven't. C'est la vie.

But I did find that by reading each of the candidates platforms (ie the answers to the KCBS questions), I felt I got a reasonable idea what each person is like, what they appreciate (BBQ-related, anyway), and how much effort I expect them to put into the position on the board, if elected. Frankly, more info would have been better.

Just my HO.

I would have LIKED to receive Gene's email. I wish the other candidates would have spent the time to put a little more out there about themselves.

They all answered the questions, but I would have personally appreciated seeing more information (of personal interest to each individual candidate) than just the answers to specific questions.

That said, I suppose I could have sent personal emails to each of the candidates to find out the answers to MY questions, and I haven't. C'est la vie.

But I did find that by reading each of the candidates platforms (ie the answers to the KCBS questions), I felt I got a reasonable idea what each person is like, what they appreciate (BBQ-related, anyway), and how much effort I expect them to put into the position on the board, if elected. Frankly, more info would have been better.

Just my HO.

I don't disagree with you, Chuck. I probably should have sent out emails again like I did in the fall of 2009 for the January, 2010 election. I chose to use Facebook more this year than I did back then. The thing about it is, there's probably only about 2,500 to 3,000 people in KCBS (of the 14,000 members) who really give a squat about the board and anything that happens anywhere outside of the confines of a contest. If you're sending emails, your chances of hitting those people aren't great. At least with Facebook, you've got a shot at reaching a majority of those who care.

so I assume you have already been doing this and have done it many times. any complaints?

Yep I sent out 4000 one time and had a one complaint. He also said I should not have his email but yet it was all over the internet. In the end he was alright with it.

You guys have lost your minds. Seriously! If you don't want an email from ANYONE, just reply to have yuour name removed. Those abuse junk sites are just a bunch of guys like the ones here who are upset who got together to try to make mountains out of mole hills and unfortunately, there's a lot of misinformation out there as to what spam actually is. It's simple really - Gene is a board member seeking re-election. You (or at least most of you) who received his message are members of the same organization and as such you have a relationship with Gene and a reason to be expected to have an interest in such an email. The only question in this entire "drama" is where he got it. I've heard he got it from KCBS (which is highly doubtful). I've heard he got it from another member of the board (very possible) and we've heard he got it from collecting addresses over the years. The first two are the only way there's any transgression committed here by anyone. Good night.

FYI - I have no dog in this hunt but I have to agree with Jeff here, and the US Gov't agrees, from the FTC:

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus61-can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business

"The CAN-SPAM Act, a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have you stop emailing them, and spells out tough penalties for violations. Despite its name, the CAN-SPAM Act doesn’t apply just to bulk email. It covers all commercial messages, which the law defines as “any electronic mail message the primary purpose of which is the commercial advertisement or promotion of a commercial product or service,” including email that promotes content on commercial websites. The law makes no exception for business-to-business email. That means all email – for example, a message to former customers announcing a new product line – must comply with the law."

So if I am reading this correctly, it has to be a commercial e-mail to be in violation of the law...

This thread reminds me of the guy above should be banned because.......

make sure you remove your contact info.... call them at their toll free number, take your time to make sure to run their bill up, then send them junk mail in return... pay back time.

I want them to know that I did it. I figure it may cause them to take me off there solicitation list. What are they gonna do otherwise, spend more money to send me more junk mail so that I can have them pay again to receive it? Punish me by stop sending me junk mail?

As for the phone calls, that takes too much time and actually borders to close to FCC violations for my taste. I'm glad to take the five seconds to repackage the envelope and go about my day.

dmp

Do you even HAVE winter there? :p

And, thankfully, Winter is just about over here. Very full and early BBQ slate this year.
Heck yeah...low of 69 last night. Jacket weather.

I am quite sure it is a private email list that Gene has not a KCBS list he is using.

I'm doing my best to stay out of this thread, but I can't just ignore bad (spelled incorrect) information.

The only way the particular
email the "vote for me" email came to, could have been from was
KCBS.

It is not used anywhere else, and that is exactly where my problem with this whole mess is.

That email was given to KCBS to use for any and all KCBS related business. (i have over a dozen emails accounts, for separate purposes, so I can track things like this)

The vote is certainly KCBS business. So where is problem? I didn't receive one from all candidates to the same email.

Which leads to the possibility that this one candidate had access to proprietary KCBS information (email addys) that other candidates didn't have.
Whether that is actually the case or not, is not relevant.

I'm doing my best to stay out of this thread, but I can't just ignore bad (spelled incorrect) information.

KCBS.

It is not used anywhere else, and that is exactly where my problem with this whole mess is.

That email was given to KCBS to use for any and all KCBS related business. (i have over a dozen emails accounts, for separate purposes, so I can track things like this)

The vote is certainly KCBS business. So where is problem? I didn't receive one from all candidates to the same email.

Which leads to the possibility that this one candidate had access to proprietary KCBS information (email addys) that other candidates didn't have.

The "got it from another board member" theory is stronger. I would still doubt he got it directly from KCBS. If he did and I was not offered the same courtesy, I would be pissed!

The "got it from another board member" theory is stronger. I would still doubt he got it directly from KCBS. If he did and I was not offered the same courtesy, I would be pissed!

My point exactly.
It is just a little messy, and I hope our incoming board takes note.

KCBS.

My guess is your email is out there to be had? I found it really quick online!

My guess is your email is out there to be had? I found it really quick online!

Lol I'm sure there are several out there.

My yahoo account I use for my website, the gmail account I use for the brethren, the 1/2 dozen work emails I have, or the one I use for competing?

I do not have an agenda or a vendetta. I have no favorite candidate and don't compete enough that it really matters. Which is why i found it so peculiar.

I'm done with sharing my concerns, and wish all the candidates the best.

I can always be contacted through PMs here, or any of the email address I may have floating out there. :becky:

Back