fried chicken

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
After hearing about Gus's Fried Chicken, I found a recipe that is reputedly based upon their recipe. Well, this had to be tried. It involves a soak in buttermilk, coating in highly seasoned flour and your standard frying in a cast iron skillet. Here are a few photos.
P5190120.jpg

P5190121.jpg

P5190123.jpg

P5190124.jpg

This was some good chicken. I prefer the shallow fried version of fried chicken, done in 1/4" of oil and a cast iron skillet, uncovered and without a lot of crust. This is what I got with excellent flavor, juicy and tender meat and crispy skin. This was very good flavored chicken. Here is a recipe for the coating.

The chicken flour dredge:
3 cups flour
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Once the chicken is dredged, I like to let it sit for a few minutes to cure the coating. I believe this is key to having the coating stick to the chicken. It makes for a less built up coating as well. Here it is curing for about 15 minutes.

Very, very nice!

I've only tried fried chicken once so far and it was an absolute failure. I use a Griswold #8 but just couldn't get oil temp right so coating burned and chicken not done. Mess in the kitchen. Hence...just stuck with Kettle!

Guess I'm coming to your house for fried chicken.

It is just like BBQ, all about heat control and patience. It really does take 12 to 15 minutes per side over moderate heat. I use the tried and true method of sticking a disposable bamboo chopstick into the oil when it first starts to shimmer, if it bubbles slowly, then chicken goes in. And then I cut heat to medium and look for a medium slow bubble rate. I will say, there is no substitute for cast iron and you have a good one, I really think the best chicken comes from a cast iron skillet.

Landarc, the chopstick test sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try that next time and I'll definitely give this dredge recipe a try.

What kind of oil did you use? Fried chicken is a lunchtime favorite among the non-Asian crowd at our family restaurant (known endearingly as Ho Ho Chicky - translating as harmony harmony chicken) and we always use peanut oil. At home I use grapeseed for health benefits but miss the peanut flavor that I grew up with.

I agree that a cast iron cooking vessel gives superior results but we have always used a deep dutch oven to reduce the splattering.

It is just like BBQ, all about heat control and patience. It really does take 12 to 15 minutes per side over moderate heat. I use the tried and true method of sticking a disposable bamboo chopstick into the oil when it first starts to shimmer, if it bubbles slowly, then chicken goes in. And then I cut heat to medium and look for a medium slow bubble rate. I will say, there is no substitute for cast iron and you have a good one, I really think the best chicken comes from a cast iron skillet.

dang skippy if yer from the south.i give it..:thumb::thumb:

After hearing about Gus's Fried Chicken, I found a recipe that is reputedly based upon their recipe. Well, this had to be tried. It involves a soak in buttermilk, coating in highly seasoned flour and your standard frying in a cast iron skillet.
This was some good chicken. .

Fried chicken from Gus's does rock--a little spicy, every piece done to perfection, juicy, crispy fried perfection! Your recipe is probably darn close but was told that corn starch is an integral part of their recipe but haven't done any experimenting(and probably won't)

your yardbird looks great!!

You've been in my Mom's head now too? That's looks and sounds very close to hers which I've never been able to duplicate. Kudos, Landarc Bubba San. Honorary Southern Status still intact!

Last edited:
That looks sooooo good.

I once read about adding a pinch or two of baking powder in with the flour helps the coating stick but since you aren't using any egg or buttermilk first that doesn't' seem to be a problem with yours. I've got to try that.
Thanks.

Looks like some good grub man. KFC can eat their hearts out over that chicken. :thumb: Now... where's mine? :confused:

Fried chicken from Gus's does rock--a little spicy, every piece done to perfection, juicy, crispy fried perfection! Your recipe is probably darn close but was told that corn starch is an integral part of their recipe but haven't done any experimenting(and probably won't) your yardbird looks great!!

I've never eaten at Gus's but in my grandfather's restaurant his "secret" recipe calls for 3:1 flour to cornstarch ratio to achieve a crispier and crunchier crust. :icon_shy

I flip this ratio when I'm making chicken karaage.

I use a mix of peanut oil and canola oil most often. Mixing oils is a good strategy, especially since I need to be cost conscious of late (stupid economic failure and construction stoppage). Peanut oil has a great flavor and high smoke point, canola has low saturation and great government subsidies which keep it cheaper. I also use Wesson for Saffola for very large cooks, as it is even cheaper and formulated for frying.

The biggest two keys to frying, in my opinion, is always put wet onto dry, and vice versa. Hence if you are going to use a batter, flour first, if you are gonna bread, soak first. And buttermilk is your friend on this recipe. The other thing is to cure you coating, if you are breading, or coating for dipping, allowing the dry ingredients to set for 15 minutes will bind the coating to the meat much better.

I use cornstarch for all Asian style frying, that or rice flour. When you get those fried shrimp or fried chicken in a Chinese restaurant, it is those ingredients that give it that extra crunch. I do not like that texture for fried chicken, personal taste. I am of the opinion that the best panko products have cornstarch in them as well, that is why it is so crunchy. Although, Smokerjumper, one of the best fried chicken dishes I have ever had was stuffed and fried chicken wings at Silver Dragon in Oakland and Empress of China in the City.

It is my understanding that the chicken at Gus's is actually battered, but, I was not there watching. This recipe was very good, I may try creating a batter with the same profile to see if that gets me any closer. To be honest, I am not a battered chicken fan though.

Gheesh Bob, I kept trying to tell you to make this two weeks ago and you'd a been a winner ... stupid foil hat must've interfered.

Back