Indoor Gumbo........PRONO PICS.

Cool idea! That is one great looking plate of food. This thinking out side the box has inspired me. I'm cooking a Boston Butt in the clothes dryer as I type. It may be a bit loud but it smells delicious!:wink:
Yeah, but you're cheating by not cooking with fire, besides, ya can't get a sweet blue smoke out of an electric clothes dryer, unless you mod a chip tray or something...

Good job Bob. Hey, might be heading to Dallas for a short trip in a few weeks. Maybe we can do a quick meal at a local bbq joint (?) if we both have the time....

I gotta make me some gumbo that looks good....Just gotta head over to the nighbors house to borrow the fireplace for a few.....

firecracrkerjack:mrgreen::mrgreen:

too bad this forum is dedicated to outdoor cooking.

i've never wished i had a fireplace more than right now!
great show, bob! :biggrin:

Reminds me of when I was a wee one in my grandparents' cabin. We'd bring back fresh trout. I loved it when the power went out and my grandfather had to cook the trout in the Franklin stove. He'd salt and pepper it and put a spoonful of butter inside, lay it on some foil and put it right on top of the coals. Never had fish taste so good and I could never understand why we couldn't cook it that way every time.

Was it Eddy Murphy's uncle who said that? Cut down dat tree over dare. Get two gallons of gasoline out da shed. Ya wana eat? Ya wana eat? Cracks me up. I love gumbo. Any crab meat in there?

No, no crab. I realized after I made it and read the recipe that crab is what makes it authenitic. I'll hafta try some next time.

Yeah, but you're cheating by not cooking with fire, besides, ya can't get a sweet blue smoke out of an electric clothes dryer, unless you mod a chip tray or something...

Good job Bob. Hey, might be heading to Dallas for a short trip in a few weeks. Maybe we can do a quick meal at a local bbq joint (?) if we both have the time....

Are you driving through El Paso? If so, lemme know.

That is sooo cool! :cool: Hmmm...I don't think my wife is gonna like what I'm thinking right now...:twisted:

Bob, it's a cold windy damp day here. Have the Buck Stove fired up and keep thinking about that great looking gumbo you made.

Attachments

• Buck Stove 12 6 09.jpg
    Buck Stove 12 6 09.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 40
That is sooo cool! :cool: Hmmm...I don't think my wife is gonna like what I'm thinking right now...:twisted:

Do it! Just tell her some nutjob on the Brethren site did it and he didn't burn the house down so it can't be that bad.

Crab makes gumbo authentic?
One of the recipes I found stated that it wasn't gumbo unless it had crab in it. I don't know for sure either way. Maybe one of our Cajun Brothers or Sisters can enlighten us. I'd like to know what a true, authentic gumbo consists of.

Bob, it's a cold windy damp day here. Have the Buck Stove fired up and keep thinking about that great looking gumbo you made.
Watcha waiting for? Break out the cast iron and get cooking. That is one nice looking fire by the way.

Thanks again all.
Just had a bowl for dinner and it's definitely better the next day.

Crab makes gumbo authentic?
Bob, gumbo doesn't have to have crab to be authentic. It does add another layer of flavor though. Small blue crabs are best. You can use any kind meat that would pair up with each other. Smoke sausage goes with any kind of meat. Some recipies call for okra. Some people don't like it and leave it out. It too, adds flavor and texture.

Alan,
I love okra, but left it out cause the wifey don't like it and also because I couldn't find fresh and the only frozen I had on hand was the breaded kind. My plan was to do some of the breaded in the oven and toss em on top of the gumbo, kinda like crutons, but time got away from me.
Dang, I just thought of something. I could have bought some of the hot pickled okra and added it to my bowl. Oh well. Next time.
I can see where some whole fresh blue crabs would add a whole nother dimension of flavor though.

Oh MAN Bob :!:

That looks Farkin' Fantastic :!::!:

I'd hit that for sure :rolleyes:..... Nicely done ..... very nicely done....mmmmm..mmmmmmm

Back