Official Start of the SS UDS

That's a great looking build. I like the removeable thermometers and the stem length. That BGE door will allow you to wiggle the lump with ease.

DSC08803aa.jpg

One thing you might consider on the grate that does not have the folding access is removing a couple of rods. This way you can add more wood if needed. Sometimes with all the smoke it's hard to toss wood and hit the charcoal basket when throwing from the edge.​

That is just sick, crazy cool sick. In my neighborhood, that would be gone in a heart beat. I would need a lock and chain in it.

In my neighborhood, that would be gone in a heart beat.

Yea, tell me about it! The potheads down the road would try to see how much dope they could smoke with it. It would be the worlds first 55 gal SS hookah.

One beautiful cooker!!

As for your temps I would suggest using less raw fuel and catching the temps on the way up a bit sooner.

Thanks for all the atta boys.....

Will get it dirty as soon as I get a handle on the temps. Did a first burn last night and couldn't controll the temps worth a hoot. I think I got off to tooo hot a start!! And my lid doesn't fit as good as I would like it to. On the plus side I did get a 12+ hour burn out of about a half a bag of kingsford char. And that with temps well above 220*!! If, or I should say when I get the temp dialed in super long cooks shouldn't be a problem.
The long temp gagues are turkey fryer thermometers. I have them about a 1/2 inch below each grate. I also have a digital them. for sticking the meat.
I have about $135 into it at this point. I think pretty cheap since a SS barrel is about $500+ by itself!!!!! Mine was only $5.00 at a garage sale.

Someone asked about how SS would hold up after a bunch of cooks. Let me tell you it probably will last forever. A friend of mine has one of those portable fireplaces on wheels made of SS and new costs around $350, his garage sale find for $50!!!! We have used it at his hunt camp for outside fires and cooking for well over 3 years now, and that's with roaring, flames coming outside the screen and licking above the domed lid. The thing looks damned near new with only the nicest patina to the SS. So, there it is, I think I will have a lifetime UDS!!!! Unless one of ya'll come by and make it grow legs LOL:biggrin::biggrin:.

Again, thanks for all the encourgment and praises.........

I will continue to post as updates come, or questions are asked.

Paul B

One beautiful cooker!!

As for your temps I would suggest using less raw fuel and catching the temps on the way up a bit sooner.

That's what I thought too. With only about 10 bricks lit it was getting almost too hot to put the grates in!!! Will go with less next time.

Paul B

Some new pics of the build. I needed a fix for my lid that didn't quit fit, even after taking a ball pean to it!! I must have an odd size drum? So I added 4 small bolts to align the lid on the barrel. Only problem is that now it sits up about a lite 1/8th inch. Need some fire gasket material to take care of it.

DSCF5288.jpg

Here are some pics of it dirty, no food yet just seasoning.

DSCF5282.jpg

DSCF5280.jpg

Here is a new use for a plant hanger:

DSCF5281.jpg

A couple of more:
DSCF5278.jpg

DSCF5282.jpg

Will try to cook something next weekend.

Paul B

Nice job Paul, that drum is pimp! I think you'll be fine with less fuel and get a handle on the heat. Also I insulated my fry gauge with a cork as when I tested it out it was getting the reading off the drum and not the inside temp. I ran my digi multi meter down to the grill and got a different reading(lower). Not sure if thats your case or not.

That thing if nothing else is beautiful. Nice job, cant wait to see how it does on holding temps on a long cook.

Iam sorry, but with that smoker, you will not be allowed in the Ugly Drum Smoker club. You'll have to join the WOW Thats pretty smoker club. Great job building and putting those parts together.

Thanks guys. Should be able to hold temps. My mistake I think was starting with too many lit coals. This Sat. will do another run. After all I did run in excess of 300* for almost 12 hours. Still had a huge handful of smaller coals left.

I'm sorry it looks so shiney and beautiful(LOL), but SS is what it is....and I know ya'll are just seriously jealous!!!:biggrin::biggrin:.

Dinner pron: (on a Smokey Joe )

DSCF5289.jpg

Paul B

Additional mod to SS UDS

I needed to add 4 bolts to the rim of the new SS lid to help center and keep it from sliding off!! That was a good fix execpt that now it sits about a lite 1/8th inch off the drum. So off to the fireplace store for some furnace gasket material. Here are a couple of pics:

DSCF5292.jpg

DSCF5294-1.jpg

The red stuff is high temp silcone engine gasket maker. I got a tube of stove gasket cement with the furnace gasket but is was too hard to squeeze out of the tube. Must have been old?? I wanted to get this glued on so I used the high temp gasket goo. Should hold.

Now I can't wait for either friday afternoon or sat morning so I can see how this thing will run temp wise. Had trouble with the first run, but got it seasoned. I think I need to start with fewer lit coals and let temps come up more slowly.

I'll report back................

Paul B

Some new pics. Temps are now manageable, and you can see the furnace gasket between the lid and the drum.

DSCF5296.jpg

DSCF5297.jpg

DSCF5298.jpg

And my first fattei:
DSCF5299.jpg

Paul B

Back