• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Where could I get some High temp gloss can paint. Have not seen anywhere except for the bbq/stove flat paint.
Don't look for paint in the BBQ section or at the fireplace shop. All they will have is flat black. Advance, NAPA, AutoZone, Carquest, O'Reilly or some other auto parts store.

Ahhhh, I never even thought about engine paint or going to a autoparts store.

Thanks Nord and Old

He's an old hippie but he knew just what to do,

Went down to the parts store and he got himself some blue...

Sorry man, and sorry Willie, I couldn't help it.

Not Willie. Bellamy Brothers...

He keeps a little garden in the back yard by the fence;
He's consuming what's he's growing nowdays in self-defense...
He gets out there in the twilight zone sometimes
when it just don't make no sense...

Great song! Awesome and under appreciated song writers...

Got a new lined drum open top with lid. Looks like its lined with a yellow paint or epoxy. Bought a cheap weed burner and going to see how many of my neighbors dont like me this weekend when I burn it out. Spent $20 on Stainless machine screws and nuts at Lumber yard. I put a grill 2 1/2 " off bottom to sit my future ash basket on. Is this going to be high enough to get enough air? Cooking grate will be 8" from top as per Nords "Trailer Treasure" thread. Great job Nord making it easier for us newbies. Also I have access to Aluminum pipe and fittings for railing. I am fabricating intake and exhaust stack out of aluminium. Any problems using aluminium? I didnt think so since relatively low temps..

Not Willie. Bellamy Brothers...

He keeps a little garden in the back yard by the fence;
He's consuming what's he's growing nowdays in self-defense...
He gets out there in the twilight zone sometimes
when it just don't make no sense...

Great song! Awesome and under appreciated song writers...
"Like the smoke from that UDS...just up and fade away"
Got to keep it on subject!

If some of you would, please read and comment on the following:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1006687&postcount=3940

I'm all confused. Which brand of "donor" lids fit a drum?
Old Hippie, just to give you another option, I took the top third off another Drum, cutting it at the apex of the reinforcement rib with a jig saw and set that upon my Drumpit to increase the cooking height capacity and allowing me to still use the flat lid. I took a locking ring and stove gasket to make the connection air tight between the two. I think you could make your own lid using this technique, but instead of using the locking ring to meld the two together, you could take a rubber mallet, persuading the two pieces to fit tighter.
UglyDrumPit1.jpg

If you make the lid out of the top third of a drum, make the cut below the highest point of the rib. Then pound out the lip and you have a nice tight fitting lid. The widest part of the rib will be what actually sits on the lip of the drum, and you will have a nice lip that extends down past the roll of the drum top. The first one I made, I cut just at the widest part of the rib and it doesn't have anough of a lip to sit right, it is easily bumped off and hard sometimes to get on good. With the longer lip it is much more stable.

Takes a little practice and you need to make the lid for the drum you are going to use the lid on. I made one at the shop and it fit that drum great but it wouldn't work on the drum at home. had to open it out some more.

GEDC0097.jpg

GEDC0098.jpg

I use a piece of rebar under the indention above the rib and a crowned hammer to pound it out. The lip chewed up my rubber mallet. I will try to make a short video tomorrow.

That is how I did my Weber lid and its works great. I also tack welded it and filled the cracks with JB Weld

OK, looking at it last night, I cannot flatten out the lid enough to get over the rolled edge, which is 23" in diameter (I tried it a bit, and it is not going to go). Inside, the barrel is 22 1/4", while the Weber lid is 22 3/4" inside the lip. That means that if I put a piece of steel around the inside, I will have 1/2 inch of slop side to side.

Not sure what to do. I may wind up cutting the top lip off the Weber grill itself, and tacking that to the barrel, then sealing it up.

What you think, guys?

OK, looking at it last night, I cannot flatten out the lid enough to get over the rolled edge, which is 23" in diameter (I tried it a bit, and it is not going to go). Inside, the barrel is 22 1/4", while the Weber lid is 22 3/4" inside the lip. That means that if I put a piece of steel around the inside, I will have 1/2 inch of slop side to side.

Not sure what to do. I may wind up cutting the top lip off the Weber grill itself, and tacking that to the barrel, then sealing it up.

What you think, guys?

There are different sizes of 55 gallon barrels. I had a couple of extra barrels I was going to build UDS's out of and was test fitting the lid I made for one barrel onto another barrel and it wouldn't fit. Since I had already welded the Weber lid to fit the first barrel I wasn't able to see how much larger I needed to make the strip of sheet metal for the second barrel and if or not it would fit the Weber lid. From what you have told me, maybe I will have to form a lip on the edge of the strip of sheet metal and tack weld that to the hammered out Weber lid to get it to fit properly. It might be more work than putting a strip of metal inside the drum but I sure like the way my lid fits the first barrel. Anyway those's are my thoughts.

jswordy:

Here's a way to fix the lip so it fits without excessive leaks.

Make a series of 1/4" cuts around the top of the drum after youve removed the lip. Then slightly bend each tab in all the way around till it fits snug.

I've done it and it works. Here's what I used but even just a hacksaw will work.

Last edited:
Thanks. I might not have stated the measurements clearly. Outside of drum lip = 23. Inside of drum lip = 22 1/4. Lid = 22 1/2.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this charcoal basket? I haven't added the handle yet, waiting until it's perfect.

Used a 16" pizza pan as an ashtray. 16" grate for the bottom of the basket. Used 12"x24" expanded steel for the basket, giving me a diameter of appx 7 1/2 x 12".

From the ground to the bottom of the basket is 3 1/4".
From the lip of the pizza pan to the bottom of the basket is 2 3/4".

No galvanized nuts/bolts.

Will this work? Any suggestions?

DSCN2242.jpg

DSCN2243.jpg

DSCN2244.jpg

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!!

From what I've seen this may be a little too tall and too skinny to get the burn times you'll want. I think most are about twice as wide but this may work?

Charcoal Basket

I used 1/2" expanded metal 12" wide by 52" long. Wraped that around a 16" Weber charcoal grate. Held the expanded metal together with 1/4-20x3/4" bolts with washers. And then I used 5" bolts for the charcoal grate to sit on.

I used 1/2" expanded metal 12" wide by 52" long. Wraped that around a 16" Weber charcoal grate. Held the expanded metal together with 1/4-20x3/4" bolts with washers. And then I used 5" bolts for the charcoal grate to sit on.

I did basically the same thing but needed to use two sheets of expanded metal as I couldn't find one long enough at Lowes or HD.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,150
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,143
Thanks all!!! I cut the 12" steel in half & now have a basket that's 6" x 15.75" diameter.

Last edited:
I am just about finished with my attempt at a UDS, thanks to this thread.

Only thing left is to add the supports for the top rack paint it and some stove gasket to seal the lid. ( there is a piece of red rope on it in the pictures for testing).

One question, I get the drums from a drum recycler in woburn mass, $20, they run all the drums through a giant furnace that removes all the original paint and any traces of what was in the drum. They usually sell them pained on the inside and outside. I grabbed one that was only painted on the outside. The inside was as left as it was burned, pretty much bare metal, but with a little surface rust because it sat for a while. How much of that surface rust should i get off it?

bbq002.jpg

bbq001.jpg

bbq003.jpg

bbq004.jpg

I am just about finished with my attempt at a UDS, thanks to this thread.

Only thing left is to add the supports for the top rack paint it and some stove gasket to seal the lid. ( there is a piece of red rope on it in the pictures for testing).

One question, I get the drums from a drum recycler in woburn mass, $20, they run all the drums through a giant furnace that removes all the original paint and any traces of what was in the drum. They usually sell them pained on the inside and outside. I grabbed one that was only painted on the outside. The inside was as left as it was burned, pretty much bare metal, but with a little surface rust because it sat for a while. How much of that surface rust should i get off it?

bbq002.jpg

bbq001.jpg

bbq003.jpg

bbq004.jpg

I would just do a light sanding and then put some Pam, I used the BBQ stuff(high Temp) to season it and it should keep if from rusting anymore.

Back