Best cut of Venison?

backstrap is wonderful - you can cook it whole on the grill or butterfly the loin up and grill.

I like to wrap my loins in bacon and cook indirect until it hits 125.

sometimes they get stuffed with feta cheese.

this is actually just a roast off the hind quarter - cooked in my homebuilt smoker over some cherry at 275 until it temp hit 125.

you're killing me westy!! I'll be right over.

Store bought?OOH haillll no!! Ask around im sure you can find someone that has extra in the freezer, most Real hunters would be glad to give you some, chances are they have cooked it so many ways they wont eat it anymore at least till fall.I dont like all the fancy junk on it, its like your trying to cover up poor handling of the deer. Salt Pepper, onion, or even lipton onion soup mix works great for roasts. A good portion of our deer here are nice and fat anywhere between 150-300lb,A nice 2-3 year olds are yummy, good luck

I was wondering about the "store bought" too. Would that be farmed venison?
I'm not familiar with any butchers in my area that carry venison at all....let alone a choice of cuts. (but then again everyone in my area hunts their own.)

I'd give him a call and see what cuts he has to offer.
Tenderloin is the best in my opinion, then backstrap, BUT all venison is mighty tasty if prepared right. :thumb:

Shhh.... Those cuts are secret. They disappear without a trace before anyone knew what happened. They usually turn into breakfast at deer camp.

^^^As soon as I'm done field dressing my deer, my inner tenderloins typically get cooked up. Adding the heart to this tradition as well. Cooked up my deer hearts this year and they were fantastic. :thumb:

^^^As soon as I'm done field dressing my deer, my inner tenderloins typically get cooked up. Adding the heart to this tradition as well. Cooked up my deer hearts this year and they were fantastic. :thumb:

So you cook it before rigor mortis sets in -- the best I hear. So you get the best of the best being the hunter.

I'm not familiar with any butchers in my area that carry venison at all....let alone a choice of cuts. (but then again everyone in my area hunts their own.)

Tenderloin is the best in my opinion, then backstrap, BUT all venison is mighty tasty if prepared right. :thumb:

Well I didn't say "store bought" I said butcher. And what I really meant to say was Seigi's Sausage Factory on 81st & Sheridan in Tulsa, OK. They sell venison sausages there so I assume I could buy venison from them. They process deer there for hunters as well.

Well I didn't say "store bought" I said butcher. And what I really meant to say was Seigi's Sausage Factory on 81st & Sheridan in Tulsa, OK. They sell venison sausages there so I assume I could buy venison from them. They process deer there for hunters as well.

We were referring to "store bought" as opposed to hunted venison.

I see a lot of folks wrapping their backstraps in bacon in this thread, which is fine. However, when you grill it up, try instead coating it in a thin layer of bacon grease only instead of strips of bacon. When you turn it over on the grill, reroll it bacon grease (or paint it on with a brush). I prefer this method as you get a great sear, get a little fat on the loin so it doesn't dry out, and you still get that hint of bacon flavor without overpowering the venison flavor. Just (literally) food for thought.

We were referring to "store bought" as opposed to hunted venison.

I was just clarifying it wasn't a typical store, that it was a sausage factory that sells venison sausage and actually processes hunted venison, is all. I've never seen venison in a grocery store either.

I'm going to call them and ask.

Last edited:
Surprised nobody has mentioned yet (that I've noticed), but since the thread title asks what cut is the BEST, the answer is the small inside tenderloins that we remove when we gut the deer (so they don't dry out and also to make sure I get to eat them!). Kinda like small hangar steaks. Highly unlikely your butcher can get you those; whoever breaks down the whole carcass is probably keeping them! After that, definitely the backstrap in my opinion.
Where I come from, these are called the backstraps and yes they are the best cut.

My preferred method for them is to make medalions, Salt, Pepper and grill with a patt of butter on top of each one until just past rare.:thumb:

I want to shoot a deer lol. Just to save money.

I dunno, I never terminated an animal before. Bugs yes.

I'd probably feel sad.

You have at least paid for the "termination" of an animal if you purchase meat. Not saying that hunting and fishing is for everybody, but it does give you a primal connection with your food, and I think that it makes you respect the gift that animal gave you because you did not just pick it up wrapped in plastic.

Not bashing, just giving an opinion.

OH, and the saving money part.... well deer lease, plus guns, plus clothes, plus fuel, plus, plus, plus... well don't ever add up the cost per pound of a game animal.

Where I come from, these are called the backstraps and yes they are the best cut.

My preferred method for them is to make medalions, Salt, Pepper and grill with a patt of butter on top of each one until just past rare.:thumb:

Sir, you are referring to the loins a.k.a. backstrap, NY strip. He was referring to the tenderloin a.k.a. filet, which is inside the body cavity. The true story is that a LOT of hunters revere the loin and are clueless about the tenderloin.

ALSO, less than 3% of hunters save money on meat. I bought a reasonably priced rifle and hunt on a friend's farm and I would have to shoot a couple deer every time I go hunting to break even in 5 years. (let's just say that I do not shoot a deer every time I go out. Maybe 2 times to 1 deer or worse)

We process our own deer. Other than the basics of safe food handling, storage and preparation, to me the most important thing in my opinion is to age the deer. We hang/age ours for a good week-10 days (depending on temperatures). The difference is night and day. Having said that, there is nothing better than a nice chunk of backstrap cooked simply with a coat of olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary grilled over charcoal and a handful of mesquite/hickory chips cooked to med rare or even rare.

Also, I have three boys, I promise you I have not "saved" a dime by harvesting game. But the memories and getting the boys hooked on the outdoors, can't put a price on that. But, tasty eats are always rewarding for sure!

One of my other favorites is the heart...

Lightly covered in flour - a little salt, pepper, garlic and some jalapeno dust.

Agreed that the inside tenderloin is the best.

My favorite way to cook it is cut the backstrap up in cubes, then marinate it in soy sauce, italian dressing and worcester sauce. I then put a slice of onion and a slice of jalapeno, and sometimes some cream cheese, on a toothpick along with the backstrap cube. Wrap it in bacon and cook it to medium rare.

Back