This ever happen to you?

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I decided that I wanted to come up with a new rib rub and sauce. I was writing everything down so I could duplicate it. The rubs were interesting. The sauce was nice. Tangy, sweet and a little kick. I cooked the ribs in the UDS, no foil. Sauce for the last thirty minutes. Nice looking ribs. Pretty smoke ring. Great texture.

Bland as all get out. WTF?

Two racks. Both heavily rubbed with different rubs.

I can't figure it out. Maybe it's because I didn't really want BBQ. I was making a pot of Gumbo at the same time and maybe all of the love went there.

Suggestions? Comments?

Perhaps the rub and sauce are not the culprits. I have cooked ribs with only salt and pepper rub and no sauce which were not bland.

Could it be the quality of the meat?

I would think that the taste could vary depending on how the pigs were raised, fed and how the meat was handled after slaughter. How many times had the ribs been frozen, for example?.

I suppose that it also could be the quality of the wood you smoked with.

Yep - Bad mojo with no juju. BBQ is the original soul food. If you don't got none it ain't gonna have any either.

Mista, no show of love for the food, no love back.

You saw the LIGHT and then go and blow it.

Let this be a lesson. You should be ashamed of yourself :mad:

More salt and sugar in the rub, its pork! Perhaps add a mustard slather to work up a paste. Country's still pissed about his toe, lol!

my guess one of two things...
your taste buds were off that day(dont laugh, onset of cold or just plain on strike taste buds)

the meat...I will not buy frozen or freeze ribs anymore....they lose something when frozen..

Did you "cook" the sauce? What I mean is did you heat it to a cooking temp b4 you tasted it? I've been making my own bbq sauce for about 35 years, and it was after about 30 years that I realized the mix tasted different when "cooked". So now I always cook the mix b4 I call it ready to sauce with. Granted most of my experience is for grilling purposes, but sauce is sauce, man!

Good Luck!

Since you gave so much love for the gumbo, there wasn't enough left for the ribs...and you hurt their feelings.

You didn't share. I am willing and able to help raise your Karma level. Too bad they would have to be frozen then shipped to me.

Yep - Bad mojo with no juju. BBQ is the original soul food. If you don't got none it ain't gonna have any either.

Mista, no show of love for the food, no love back.

You saw the LIGHT and then go and blow it.

Let this be a lesson. You should be ashamed of yourself :mad:

i think this should be added into the bible as an addendum, under the book of RichardF.

Got it. No more cooking two things at once. Especially when both are soooo needy! Bet I could've done Pork butt and stew with no problem. It's those high maintenance women...uhhh, I mean dishes, that will do you in everytime.

well a good gumbo can kill the palate for ribs. was there beer involved ? :-D takes a minimum of 6 beers to make a good roux for the gumbo.

Well it happen to me - I tried making a new rub, and my wife (who hates spices) told me it was bland. Made me cry, then I tastested it, and all I tasted was sauce. A lot of work for nothing!

I recently cooked ribs and chicken like I did at my last Comp. Food was salty this time. It was not salty at the Comp. Have not figured out why yet

Don't you have some Crocs to be trying on...leave me and my drum-envy alone!!
My Crocs are SWEEEET!, or so I've been told. :icon_sick
Only people who hate drums are the ones that don't have one!
When Brother Smoke gets a few calls at Viejas you will be making your own call....To Me!
I bet I can build a Manly drum in my new crocs. :biggrin:

Back