What's smoke'in

Q

Que'inKC

Well I decided to start my brisket tonight and do an overnighter...I've got some family coming over tomorrow and they are hungry for Brisket...Wish me luck on my maiden voyage of my new BWS....Stay tuned...pron to follow!

I'll hang with ya for a bit! I love overnighters. Can PM chat.

ok all these overnighters and no updates I think everyone fell a sleep

lets see some pics

Brisket is going good...I pulled it off at 7:45am CST int temp @195 passed probe tender test..Resting in cooler now...

Cook when really well I think for my first time...The BWS ran really well, it took a lot more tending too than I figured it would...I need to get the hang of the vents, it really doesn't take much air on these thangs, but surprisingly it went through the coal...

I filled it up 3 times during the night (about every 4 hours using RO Lump)...I filled the water pan up once, but it never ran dry...

I didn't sleep much and I am really tired, but all in all it was a good cook...I decided to through a splatched (sp) chicken on because I had lots of good coals left over..

Brisket is going good...I pulled it off at 7:45am CST int temp @195 passed probe tender test..Resting in cooler now...

Cook when really well I think for my first time...The BWS ran really well, it took a lot more tending too than I figured it would...I need to get the hang of the vents, it really doesn't take much air on these thangs, but surprisingly it went through the coal...

I filled it up 3 times during the night (about every 4 hours using RO Lump)...I filled the water pan up once, but it never ran dry...

I didn't sleep much and I am really tired, but all in all it was a good cook...I decided to through a splatched (sp) chicken on because I had lots of good coals left over..

Spatchcock Chicken

Doing a brisket as the first cook on a new cooker is quite brave. Congratulations! Sounds like it went perfectly.

I wonder if the guys here have a way for you to get more sleep and run more than 4 hours on a load of lump. Maybe more air and fewer lit coals. Maybe drop a handful of lit coals in the center and let it spread out. Dunno. Not familiar with the BW. Makes me appreciate my Egg, though. A load of lump can go more than 24 hours.

You don't really care about the lack of sleep when you are playing with a new toy, eh?

It's a learning curve, it will get better. Did you have a fire going rather than a burn?

I started my Backwoods at 5:30 this morning and I'm still 1/2 full of coal using a mix of about 50/50 Wicked Good and Rancher. I'm surprised he went through that much coal and water.

I'm surprised as well...I was hopping for a better burn, but like you said it's probably a learning curve...

OK so first I just have to say OMG!!!! I've never in my 10+ years of smoking meat have I produced a better brisket...This thing was the best I've ever done, my family and friends went crazy...It was tender, juicy, flavorful and all around the best I've ever done...I also did my first "Burnt Ends" and they were even more popular than my brisket flat...They were gone in minutes....

I just want to say Thank you to my BBQ Bros, I couldn't have done this without have you on my side....Pron Below

Attachments

• 100_0373.jpg
    100_0373.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 100_0380.jpg
    100_0380.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 100_0388.jpg
    100_0388.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_0390.jpg
    100_0390.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_0391.jpg
    100_0391.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 90
Nice - a thing of beauty!!!! I noticed that you used lump -- the dealer I bought mine from (who is also a comp cook) advised me not to use lump... said it burns to quick and to hot.....I used briq's on my cooks, and had pretty good luck with temp and time of burn. I'm still learning vent control, but have, overall, had pretty good luck. Not that it seems to affected your brisket!! Congrats on a fantastic piece of meat!!!!!

Back