How do you afford to compete?

well put!!!!!!! except my family I really dont do anything. I love the look on friends faces when I get one step closer to getting it right!
I'm with Guy. In it for the fun. I don't belong to a gym, don't golf or fish. BBQ is MY time so if I spend a little bit doing a few contests a year, so be it. I'll do four this summer and maybe five next year, but that's about it.

well put!!!!!!! except my family I really dont do anything. I love the look on friends faces when I get one step closer to getting it right!

Absolutely right on Target! Thats why even when we don't do as well we cook another contest!:cool:

I'm always looking for a sponsor..:rolleyes:

But cooked about 15 contest last year...I pick cookoffs that don't cost a arm & leg to enter...Royal was the big one last year, but also cooked 5 over 50 teams, and 2 over 100 teams..

Always helps to pick up a little change in winnings...just to pay to play the game again...

Lucky I'm here in the Houston area...can cook many within 50 miles from the house...

Some big, some small, some sanctioned, some non-sanctioned...

But the party never ends!!!!:biggrin:

Our team is through our Vol. Fire Company. For our 1st contest I got a local pizza guy to donate ribs and chicklen, a local bar to pay the entrance fee and we spit up the rest. This year we are having our own cook-off in May, hopefully we make enough to afford the three we want to enter.

We did 5-6 the ;ast couple years. Out of our own pocket, but that is a little self serving. We have a catering business, and a few awards sure help out the PR. We can advertise a GC, and do! We have spent about $10,000 over 3 years, and won maybe $4,000. The catering side business does really well, so we call it advertising.

We had some help from a local communications company that my friend owns. That paid for 6 of the 12 entry fees for last year. The rest (entry, food, and other expences) comes out of my pocket.

Its a hobby. Most hobbies, racing, golf, motorcycles, cost $. I'm in it for fun and sometimes it cost to have it!

I think I'm going to start a spreadsheet with ALL my expenses and income from BBQ for 2008 and just see how badly I take a beating! :shock::lol: Might make me re-think 2009. :roll:

Don't do it. Don and I have a spreadsheet so we can even out the costs ... and ... umm well ... we try to keep all other eyes off it. :eek:

Oh, and I didn't play even one hole of golf in 2007 to pay my half. But on the plus side, my bad swing habits should be gone.

My corporation sponsors my team
In other words I pay for my play
We only get to cook a few because
we organize many of the events we
attend

My corporation sponsors my team
In other words I pay for my play
We only get to cook a few because
we organize many of the events we
attend

Now that has me thinking:idea: As a small biz owner, can I sponsor myself and then write it off on the business side? Sounds like time to call my CPA:biggrin:

I have worked a part time bartending job the last two years, and basicly used that money to compete. I wish I could drum up some sponsorship dough so I don't have to work so hard, but it is not easy.

But I really don't worry about the $$$ so much. I've really enjoyed competing with friends, making new ones and just being part of the scene. There is no better hobby in my opinion.

Now that has me thinking:idea: As a small biz owner, can I sponsor myself and then write it off on the business side? Sounds like time to call my CPA:biggrin:

We do. B&B BBQ and Catering, llc, pays the bills and we in turn consider it advertising and promotion. I'm married to my CPA.

I always invite customers from the trash biz to attend and feed them
The our new catering biz is a easy way to cover expenses

And yes we do keep the Trash biz and the Catering seperated LOL

We only did one last year, our first and really enjoyed ourselves, my son and I. I paid for it out of my pocket. We do a couple private parties here and there, and that helps. Don't compete too get rich and famous, but to see where we stacked up against the rest.

There are 5 of us on the team (not all attend every contest) and we did 14 contests last year. Out total cost, excluding personal stuff (like alcohol $$) we spent $6,900. Our net costs after winnings was $2,650 so our net cost per contest was between $30 and $50 depending on how many and which contests we were all at.

We had a good year last year but never got a GC but all those 2nds, 3rds, etc. add up.

Hope we are as lucky this year because without winnings it would get expensive.

I'm new to this (never have competed), and after reading all the contents it seems to me you could probably spend as much or as little as you wanted to depending on what you do. What I mean is your obviously going to have some expenses you can't get out of, such as entrance fee's, meat, fuel, misc supplies...

I've read stuff before that there are teams that smoke 10 racks of ribs and only turn in what looks best...

I might not know what I'm talking about (probably don't) but I think you can get buy pretty inexpensively if you are efficient...

I might not know what I'm talking about (probably don't) but I think you can get buy pretty inexpensively if you are efficient...
I usually do 2 racks od ribs, 2 butts, 2 briskets . This year i am going to cut back and do one brisket. Just less to deal with. I also pretrim at home. I want to do as little work at a contest as posible. Would rather have fun

I'm new to this (never have competed), and after reading all the contents it seems to me you could probably spend as much or as little as you wanted to depending on what you do. What I mean is your obviously going to have some expenses you can't get out of, such as entrance fee's, meat, fuel, misc supplies...

I've read stuff before that there are teams that smoke 10 racks of ribs and only turn in what looks best...

If you have space you should cook as much as you can afford. Especially when you're starting out. As you get consistent you start cooking less. I went from 4 butts to 2, 6 slabs to 3 and 24+ thighs to 10. I still cook 3 or 4 Briskets. Why the extra briskets? Cause it's still nto where I want it to be. Now sometimes I'd like to have a 3rd butt cause it's easy to mess up temps and not have any slices with just 2. More chance for making up for a mistake.

We looked at our costs for the 8 we did last year and figure it's about $350-$400 per comp and it's almost all been out of our pockets. We're one of those teams that cooks 1 brisket, 1 butt, 2 racks of ribs and a package of chicken. And hopefully it all turns out.

We keep our costs down by loading up the deep freeze when our meats go one sale, which helps. Spices and sauce fixins we buy in bulk. Contests are mostly local and $150 or under. We'd love to do the Royal but for what it costs we never will until we qualify for the invitational. We're not big drinkers or partiers and we're not buying cases of beer and making a meal for everyone on Friday night. Since we don't take off work on Fridays, we're working on Friday night and might grab a Subway sandwich between 9 and 11 p.m.

We're about to go sponsor hunting... but mostly, this is our hobby. We call it "camping with a purpose". And we still have a GREAT time!

I am as broke as the next guy. All expenses come out of pocket, and i spend anywhere from $600-$800 per contest, depending on location. I do about 8 a year. The very first thing i look for in a contest is prize money. Not because i'm a greedy bastard, is because i want a shot to make my money back so i can afford to compete again. if i feel i can go to a contest and get a couple of good calls and make back over at least $300-$400 I'll consider it.. i also look at all the other same variables everyone else does. Luckily, i was a little ahead for 2007.

Back