Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Just read through this thread, WOW :clap2: Reading through this is better than any novel I've read lately.

BRAVO for all of your hard work.

Can't wait to hear more.

Having been in the restaurant business now for just over 12 years I can honestly say I know where you are coming from. It's very stressful indeed: It never really get's easy!

There is always menu planning, keeping food costs in check, quarterly visits from health inspectors that always "seem" to know how you should run your business.

Keep strong, if you ever have any questions, feel free to message me friend.

Dino from Toronto.

Thanks, everyone.

Smoker finally repaired, and all necessary parts are in to finish the exhaust problem. Unfortunately, they said they probably won't get to it until Monday or Tuesday. But the guy did guarantee that he would have me open at some point next week. So, it looks like I'll bring staff back in probably Wednesday to begin prep. I can almost taste it.

And the staff is the most amazing thing I've learned out of all of this. They have stuck with me even though I haven't been able to give them work or pay them for a month now. Even in an operating restaurant turnover is the highest of any industry. So to have these guys believe in the place and stick it out alongside me is amazing. I did have to write a letter for one employee to explain why she wasn't getting paid because the electric company wanted to shut it off. I feel bad, but at the same time if they are willing to endure a month without pay and are committed to sticking with me, that says a lot.

And this chili cook-off this weekend is coming at a perfect time. It will be like a second pre-opening promotion blitz. They said I'll have about 500 people come through and I can hand out or promote anything I want. Going to be a great way to get the word out just a few days before opening.

I have my fingers crossed for you to get open and start living the dream instead of the nightmare:) I know you are gonna do good when you finally get open.

Real glad to hear this!

And yeah the folks you have for staff really do seem committed to you and that's a huge bonus!

Looking forward to meeting you and trying some of that fine arse Q next week!

Hmm, that chili looks suspiciously like free ribs. And that chili over there looks a lot like a pulled pork sandwich. And is that chili a brisket? :)

Best of luck to you. I'm looking forward to reading the opening day post!

Glad to hear all this. I have watched this thread on a daily basis -- as have many others -- and am very excited about it. I know it's not the opening that you wanted, but it's the opening that you got and you're definitely making the best out of it all. Best of luck to you this weekend.

Looking like 2014 might not be so bad for ya, Good luck and can't wait to hear how things go.

I'm a pretty even keeled guy, but I would have lost it by now.

Hah. My wife said I already have lost it. Maybe I don't see it because at this point I'm delusional.

But here's a little chili pron from today. 30 pounds worth of smoked steak, onions, and three kinds of peppers. All marinating for 24 hours in my secret recipe. :mrgreen:

m9rqxi.jpg

Any recommendations on how to remove slobber from your laptop screen?
Chili looking amazing...

Hah. My wife said I already have lost it. Maybe I don't see it because at this point I'm delusional.

But here's a little chili pron from today. 30 pounds worth of smoked steak, onions, and three kinds of peppers. All marinating for 24 hours in my secret recipe. :mrgreen:

m9rqxi.jpg

I hear beans cause lunacy. Better keep them away from your chili.

You are blessed having the staff you have hired. Imagine if all of them walked at the same time you have been stuffed around with compliance and technical issues.

I hope all these folks reap the rewards of your pending success when the doors are finally open.....they deserve it......as do you.

Fleetz

Back