First Timer Questions

bmikiten

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of reading and enjoyed the information on this site and had a few questions before I delve into my first contest.

1) I'm going to observe the Hill Country event in San Marcos next weekend and was reading the rules. They are turning in one half a chicken instead of thighs. How is this tasted by multiple judges?

2) They require a food service license. Is this common in all contests? I don't read much about this. I've read the thread on safe handling rules.

Anyone else going to be there?

Thanks

Brian

I looked into it a little bit...
1,) to answer first q, this a lone star society sanctioned event, they do the half chicken instead of whatever you desire. They place a plastic knife in your turn in box and the judges each pass around your box, cut a piece off with a knife....judge it up.
2.) I just did QUITE a bit of searching on the web and see NOTHING about needing a license for the event. There will be food vendors for the fun stuff so that's where those guys will do need a license to sell. The only time you ever need a license is to sell.

Here is a link to the rules for the event:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741826.100001785536873&type=1&l=18d81e158c

Hope this helps!

Welcome to the forum. In Texas (IBCA, LSBS) half chicken is the norm. The judges can not touch the meat. They use a plastic fork and knife to sample the meat.

It does not say any thing about the license in the flyer. Might just be for vending. I would cook this event except I am already cooking my hometown the same day.

http://www.lonestarbarbecue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/2013HCCOBBQflyer2.pdf

TOO SLOW. Dang.

Quick suggestion, don't just go observe, call the promoter see if they need some more judges and volunteer to judge. This will drastically reduce your learning curve once you jump in to the ring. Go early, walk around and observe, then when it's time, go judge.
Most of all, have fun!

Great thought on the judging. I called and they have positions available! I appreciate the idea. I can't wait!

Brian

Back