Ask and you shall recieve.....Sometimes

jorbroni

Reaction score
I love the burnt ends on Brisket and this weekend I went to a local BBQ joint and order some ribs, chicken, and requested to get some burnt ends from the brisket. The cashier look at me strange when I ask for it and went to the back and ask the pitmaster about the burnt ends. She came back and confirmed the order's total. I notice that it was cheaper than I thought it should be and I ask her did she include everything. She told me yes because they do not charge for burnt ends. I was puzzled and said okay.

When I got home and open the butcher paper, I notice that they gave me nothing but char and fat.

Did I communicate something wrong to them or should they know what burnt ends are. Because the burnt ends I always ate were meaty with a good amount of bark on it.

I think it just comes down to the place and how they do brisket. For instance...at Rudy's, they sell lean (flat) and moist (point), so I doubt they bother to do burnt ends since they are slicing it all.

peeps

It's funny that you mention Rudys because that is exactly where I went. I went to the one in Allen.

I totally hear what you are saying. But should the pitmaster know to tell the cashier to let me know that they do not do burnt ends there? I know some places do and some places don't. I would have been fine with slice.

Many of these places - chains - like Rudy's don't have a Pitmaster on location all the time. It's a monkey see, monkey do type of thing. Guy cooking and cutting the meat don't have a freaking clue what a real burnt end is.

Dats the problemo - monkey see, monkey do, and the real Pitmaster is off for the Holiday.

peeps

It's funny that you mention Rudys because that is exactly where I went. I went to the one in Allen.

I totally hear what you are saying. But should the pitmaster know to tell the cashier to let me know that they do not do burnt ends there? I know some places do and some places don't. I would have been fine with slice.
Next time just ask for moist brisket ;)

Burnt ends actually were the unsellable charred ends that were cut off before the brisket was sliced to sell. They were typically free for the asking. People liked them so much that they started charging for them so fake burnt ends were made by overcooking the cubed up point.

You actually got just what you asked for - real burnt ends.

Sounds to me like you got "pre-burnt ends" or what would have been burnt ends if they would have put them back in the smoker after cubing.

Yeah, if you went to a chain "restaurant" there probably wasn't an actual pit master on their payroll! Places like Rudy's or Dickey's are cookie cutter franchises and prepare their food in a very mechanized way. Probably all that you were given was fat cap that had been trimmed off by an "employee" who didn't even know what a burnt end was! That's the difference between a BBQ "restaurant" and a BBQ "joint" Find a good Ma and Pop Q joint and I'll bet you'll have a different burnt end experience, and better Q to boot!:wink:

Yeah, if you went to a chain "restaurant" there probably wasn't an actual pit master on their payroll! Places like Rudy's or Dickey's are cookie cutter franchises and prepare their food in a very mechanized way. Probably all that you were given was fat cap that had been trimmed off by an "employee" who didn't even know what a burnt end was! That's the difference between a BBQ "restaurant" and a BBQ "joint" Find a good Ma and Pop Q joint and I'll bet you'll have a different burnt end experience, and better Q to boot!:wink:

BINGO !!!

That is exactly what they gave me. There was no meat in the crap they gave me. Just char and fat. I gave it to my dog to chow down on. He wasn't complaining :-D.

Normally I would Q myself, but I just didn't have time this weekend :sad:. Oh well lesson learned.

At least my beer was good and cold. :rockon:

I have to tell you, that what he gave you was burnt ends. The real deal. What most of us call burnt ends is not what was traditionally called burnt ends. In a place where point is sold as fatty brisket, burnt ends are exactly that, the cut-offs, that are either burnt or not saleable. It was often considered a waste product and given to poor folks out the side door.

As an aside, I often ask for these cut-offs, as they make the best base for both sauces and injections. When you take these and simmer them down, you get all that fat, smoke and seasoning released into the broth, from there, a little of this and that, you have a great beef base.

Back