Comment Cards?

Do you find comment cards helpful?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have found the comment cards I have gotten to be helpful, most of the time. I think that what ever would make it simple and quick (check Boxes) for the judges would be ideal.

I vote YES for comment cards. This is my favorite!

913910_535344836524904_918882407_o.jpg

I would love comment cards , got a 5 in taste a few weeks ago, first 5 ever. No comment card. This judge gave us the only 5 out of the two 8s and two 7s. O well hopeful I won't get a five again.

Since the goal of teams not knowing their alternate number has been realized with KCBScore, comment cards will have to either be redacted so as to keep the alternate number hidden from the teams or another means of tracking will have to be instituted.

I don't see the process of redacting as being very laboreous once the cards have been attached to the proper score sheet. Total cost = 1 Permanant Black Magic Marker and 5 minutes of the Rep's time.

I am all in favor of the comment cards as is a concensus majority of the BOD. The only problem that I see is, the BOD member who is in charge of finding a solution, is against them in the first place and voted so. His job, as I understand it, is to form a committee and try to effect a solution. I think that ice water, cold day in Phoenix, etc. come to mind. We'll see.

For us being new to competition it is very helpful to us to have the comment card. We have no idea on what to improve on. We have to shoot from the hip.

We find them very helpful over the course of the season sort of a barometer of how our meats are fairing in the long run. The occasional "off the wall" comment is usually worth a laugh or a few cuss words...lol!

In 2011, the KCBS Rules Committee suggested that comment cards be modified so that there were check boxes that said things like:

Too Salty
Too Sweet
Too Spicey
Under Seasoned
Off Flavor
Over Cooked
Under Cooked

This idea was never addressed to the best of my knowledge but it sure seemed like a very good improvement to those of us on the committee.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

If sonething along the lines were put into place and made mandatory for scores 7 and below, I might be moved enough to purchase a LIFETIME KCBS MEMBERSHIP!!!

I like the comment cards, I think :becky:I think that a well written informative card for either a good or bad entry provides the cook with valuable information.

I also think they can be used as a way to provide valuable information about judges and what their thought process may be and provide for more accountability.

Are the cards reviewed by the Table Captains and reps before the teams get them?

I'm going to say that I'm in favor of the "voluntary" comment cards. If we make it mandatory for a card on any score lower than, say, a 7 then we will end up with a three number scoring system - 7, 8 and 9. Some judges don't want to fill them out, think that it's too much trouble, won't change anything, etc.

Personally if I give you a 6 or lower I want to tell you why. A 6 by itself won't kill you but two of them ruins your day. Shouldn't you know why I felt that I needed to say that your food was "average" or less?

And we all know that "average" food isn't going to win any prizes :shock:.

I'm with Dave: A 6 or under definitely gets a card. And I hate to say it but I agree about judges not wanting to fill them out if they're too "hard". Jean and I would, but the vast majority? I doubt it. Then you have a new system that doesn't work as well as the old...

My team has yet to receive a card (and certainly not because we're so good in all four meats). IMHO, make prepopulated checkbox cards as others have discussed to make them quick and easy and then make them mandatory regardless of score. You can always include a couple lines for optional comment if the judge wants to go into additional detail. If a judge can't describe why they did or didn't like an entry then they probably shouldn't be judging. If the comment cards are well thought out they could even help judges be better judges without resulting in nothing but 8s.

Well then lets make them mandatory no matter the score. If a judge refuses, then they obviously don't take the task of judging seriously.
I'm with ya on this. Move turn ins to one hour apart (starting at 11) so that judges have time to evaluate and properly comment on each entry.

I'm with ya on this. Move turn ins to one hour apart (starting at 11) so that judges have time to evaluate and properly comment on each entry.

Now we're talkin! But I have a feeling that the move to one hour betwen turn ins would meet more resistance than mandatory comments.

We spend most of our time cooking at PNWBA contests(we have very few KCBS events up here), under PNWBA every judge gives a comment card for all four meats. I have found them extremely valuable in upping my game(note, about 25% of them are useless comments). When cooking at KCBS, you never quite know why you received those bad scores. We also have hour turn-ins so the judges can get those comments put together.(I do like the hour turn-ins)

I like comment cards, I think they should be encouraged. We had success making changes based on a card. As far as the team number issue. You can read through many permanent markers depending on the print underneath. A better approach is to allow space at the bottom of the card and have the reps cut the bottom of the card off removing the team number.

I don't know if I like spacing out turn in times as much as it could make things easier. If you take the crazy insanity of the small turn in window you remove a lot of what makes this thing we do so much fun.....and insane.

Back