Who produces pork other than Smithfield?

Theresa B

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking into options to Smithfield pork products. Anybody have suggestions?

I would turn to others...

Smithfield was purchased by a Chinese company...

IBP or Swift, I have seen both at Costco this sat weekend however they still carry Smithfield that I will try to avoid. I feel the same way you do on this subject.

Farmland natural for us!
Ibp if I can't find farmland.

Jasonjax- I am pissed off at how Paula Dean was fired as their spokesperson. The article sure did have an impact also.

You can find good Hormel pork, but you have to watch out for the "Always Tender" stuff. Not good.

I buy Farmland now. Every since smithfield got bought out . There quality has tanked . There butts don't even look like butt as they are so butcher and hacked up in the package .

Jasonjax- I am pissed off at how Paula Dean was fired as their spokesperson. The article sure did have an impact also.

^+1!
I'm not even a PD fan but this PC BS (boy, that's a bunch of code-talk) just pisses me off. I generally use IBP or Farmland and have always been happy with either. Just after the Chinese deal I bought some Smithfield butts, packaged 2 per cryo, 15.6#, nominal 8# each. One was like 11# and the 4#-5# and both were hacked up to the point they were a PITA to cook!

Good info here. I used to start my channel surfing on the FN and go from there. Not anymore. That channel has been expunged from my house. Sounds like Smithfield pork needs to be as well.

Smithfields owns Farmland too. I learned this in a discussion with a Smithfield's east coast rep for fresh pork.

I wish we had Seaboard products here in NC more often. IBP has good pork products. We are lucky to have some other options in NC like Heritage Farms or my local Abattoir.

Just to be clear Jasonjax you're pissed because FN made a decision that would save them from losing significant ad revenues and pissing off a big part of their audience? And they should have done that to keep a woman who is sick from eating her own food, runs a crappy restaurant and allows her managers to comport themselves in a manner that would have them fired from any company in the US that a serious HR office? I agree these decisions are frequently made too quickly and without enough information. I don't see how that's the case here though. OOOps we're in N&P territory. Sorry officer.

Just to be clear Jasonjax you're pissed because FN made a decision that would save them from losing significant ad revenues and pissing off a big part of their audience? And they should have done that to keep a woman who is sick from eating her own food, runs a crappy restaurant and allows her managers to comport themselves in a manner that would have them fired from any company in the US that a serious HR office? I agree these decisions are frequently made too quickly and without enough information. I don't see how that's the case here though. OOOps we're in N&P territory. Sorry officer.

I'm not going to get into a debate here on whether your revenue and other assumptions are legitimate, but I will say I am annoyed with PC run amuck in this country. We ALL say things we shouldn't at times that do not define our entire character, but if it brings sensationalism to the press it will be grabbed ahold of and ridden into the ground.

I feel sorry for the multiple employees making a living based on her franchise that are now out of a job because of this being blown out of proportion.

Admittedly, I have limited information on the totality of the concerns, but based on what I've heard I have made my conclusions.

I have no idea what your last two sentences refer to.

No need to worry about her employees. Folks are lined up out the door these days.

Don't know about Virginia but here in KC, I get locally raised and processed pork from 3 different independent butcher shops (Bichelmeyers, Paradise Locker Meats and the Local Pig) I'd try looking for an independent, local butcher... It may be a drive... if you can find one. (Once drove 40 mi. one way to get brisket points, but that's another story)

Back