First major smoke! Need suggestions!

sic.semper.pork

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So my girlfriends parents want me to do some cooking for a 4th of July party they are having. It will be around 10 or so people attending. For me, this is a lot. They are providing hot dogs, burgers, and sides. I am thinking of smoking about an 7-8 lb. pork shoulder on my UDS. Any suggestions for wood?? I have used mesquite before on a shoulder and thought it was good. I am thinking apple though this time. Oh, this is only my second shoulder I will have ever cooked. I typically stick to ribs and chicken since I am still learning. The first shoulder came out fantastic though and had great reviews from friends, so I am confident in my abilities. I just want to make this some of the best pork they will ever eat. Thanks for any help!

For pork I like a combination of hickory and apple.

i agree with his choice of wood. As for cooking a day early i would start the cook some time early in the am (depending on what time you plan on eating). I did pork butts for my GF now wifes family too and stayed over their house and started around 3am for a late lunch early dinner time

We use pecan and cherry (but we're in the south and can get pecan). The cherry puts a really nice color onto pork and a nice flavor. I can't really comment on the reheating part as we like to cook day of for others and only reheat (microwave) for our own consumption. Whatever temperature you find is correct, I would save the juices from the cook to use in the pan while reheating so it doesn't dry out.

I think a pork butt would be great - feeds plenty and is really forgiving. I like cherry on pork. If you have to cook it the day before, I would leave it whole when done, then toss in the oven for a couple hours the day of and pull.

I think a pork butt would be great - feeds plenty and is really forgiving. I like cherry on pork. If you have to cook it the day before, I would leave it whole when done, then toss in the oven for a couple hours the day of and pull.

I think it would be easiest to cook the day before. That was something I was contemplating. Pull after a 2 hour rest, or just wait till the day of. Think I ought to wait. Also never thought to go with cherry and I think I am going to try that. What do you think of a cherry and hickory combo?

If you cook the day before, add some apple or pineapple juice when reheating.

I would try to cook it so it is done 3-4 hours before serving. That gives you a buffer in case you get a stubborn butt and time for a rest before serving.

Pork butt (shoulder) is a great choice if you have to cook for people and you are nervous about it. It is very forgiving, and it does reheat better than most meats, IMO.

If you cook it a day in advance, and the finished product is pulled pork, I would cook it to probe tender, wrap it and rest it for at least an hour, and pull it while it is still fairly hot. Then you can wrap it and put it in the fridge. A disposable aluminum pan and some foil on the top will work. You can use your oven to slowly reheat it in the same pan and foil.

CD

Pork butt (shoulder) is a great choice if you have to cook for people and you are nervous about it. It is very forgiving, and it does reheat better than most meats, IMO.

If you cook it a day in advance, and the finished product is pulled pork, I would cook it to probe tender, wrap it and rest it for at least an hour, and pull it while it is still fairly hot. Then you can wrap it and put it in the fridge. A disposable aluminum pan and some foil on the top will work. You can use your oven to slowly reheat it in the same pan and foil.

CD

That is exactly what I was thinking to reheat it. I was thinking to go with the pork for its forgiving qualities, and to be honest I am a little nervous. About 10 people are expecting some quality pulled pork from someone "southern". (I am from Virginia and moved up north. The GF's family is all from the north.) I just want to serve up some good Q that they will enjoy. Thanks!

That is exactly what I was thinking to reheat it. I was thinking to go with the pork for its forgiving qualities, and to be honest I am a little nervous. About 10 people are expecting some quality pulled pork from someone "southern". (I am from Virginia and moved up north. The GF's family is all from the north.) I just want to serve up some good Q that they will enjoy. Thanks!

Now you have it under control....

I use hickory with good results. I would try to time it as others have said so it'll be fresh for the bbq. It'll sit in a cooler wrapped for a good long while before you have to pull and serve. If you want to wow them with it that would be your best bet.

Pork butt has a good amount of fat. Once it is done, all you have to do is keep it moist. You need to rest it for sure. Wrap it in foil and either wrap that in towels, or stuff it in a cooler. Let the juices settle out and redistribute. It will probably still be hot, but it will be stable, so the juices won't gush out.

Pull it, retain all the juices, and seal it up in that pan and foil. Reheat it closed up, and it should be just as good as the day you cooked it.

I have farked up a lot of food in my 52 years. I have not farked up pork butt -- yet. Just cook it until probe tender, rest it, and the rest is pretty easy. It re-heats well, from my experience.

Oh, don't forget to drink a beer or two. You will cook better if you aren't a bundle of nerves. :becky:

CD

Pork butt has a good amount of fat. Once it is done, all you have to do is keep it moist. You need to rest it for sure. Wrap it in foil and either wrap that in towels, or stuff it in a cooler. Let the juices settle out and redistribute. It will probably still be hot, but it will be stable, so the juices won't gush out.

Pull it, retain all the juices, and seal it up in that pan and foil. Reheat it closed up, and it should be just as good as the day you cooked it.

I have farked up a lot of food in my 52 years. I have not farked up pork butt -- yet. Just cook it until probe tender, rest it, and the rest is pretty easy. It re-heats well, from my experience.

Oh, don't forget to drink a beer or two. You will cook better if you aren't a bundle of nerves. :becky:

CD

Haha...Oh man. Your advice literally brought a smile to my face. For some reason, it made me feel relaxed about the situation. Kinda made me think, just do your thing and let it happen. I do plan on havin a few cold ones while my cook is going. Thanks for the encouragement brother. One of the beers will be for you and your advice to a somewhat noob.

I use oak lump in the Kamado and oak in the stick burner. When it comes to pulled pork the flavor comes from a SIMPLE rub. The less powerful wood like oak is really more for the heat and not the flavor.

Pork is VERY forgiving and a perfect way to cater some friends. Everyone has already provided great advice. Good luck, and take pics!!!

I cooked for a small crowd a couple of weekends ago. I cooked the pork butt the day before and placed in an aluminum pan still hot and then directly into the fridge. The next day I put it in the oven at 300 degrees and cooked it until the temp was back up to about 170 or so... it pulled like a dream and was the first thing gone from the table...

Have fun and enjoy the experience. Like everyone else has said, butt is very forgiving. Even if you cook it the day of and it is not perfect, who cares. The family will still love it and you will have learned from another experience with the drum...

Back