• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question: Whole Chicken in a Backwoods

Pig Daddy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
When smoking whole chicken in a backwoods, do you leave the water pan dry? I plan on cooking a few for Father's Day and, well, have not cooked chicken in my Party yet. Not sure if the extra moisture will produce rubber skin. I plan on cooking at 325*. Any tips are much appreciated.

I would leave it dry. You'll be fighting to get the temp up with water in the pan.

Depending on how many chickens you want to cook, consider spatchcocking them. It opens them up to more rub and smoke, and I think the skin somes out better, too.

I've cooked chix in my Chubby with no water pan or heat diffuser - just kinda like direct grilling. You gotta be careful about temps and use the higher shelves but it can work really nicely like that.

I wouldn't advise smoking a chicken in your Backwoods Smoker. In fact, I wouldn't suggest cooking anything in one... you better just let me take it off your hands for you :grin:

I wouldn't advise smoking a chicken in your Backwoods Smoker. In fact, I wouldn't suggest cooking anything in one... you better just let me take it off your hands for you :grin:

LOL........ thanks for the chuckle.

Back