BGE/KJ Weather Resistance

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am currently saving for a BGE or KJ. In my current set up, whichever one I get will have to be exposed to the weather. Here in AL, our winters are mild (coldest days in the mid 20's), but our Summers are brutal (100+ with 100% humidity). I plan to put it in a table and keep it covered. How will the ceramic kamados hold up to the elements?

You will have no prob I am in PA winters are colder. My Large BGE sits on my patio all year round I do keep an Egg cover on it when not in use- prob doen not need it. There are people on this site from all over the world with Eggs. These things hold temps in any weather. I seem to remember a post from someone in Alaska cooking in sub zero weather without prob You will not be sorry if you get one They are amazing

Last edited:
Mine has survived for 6 years mostly uncovered. The original cover died after a year or two and it's been uncovered ever since. Cold weather cooks? No problem...

Here's blizzard ribs. It took me a bit to dig out to the egg, but worth it later that night after shoveling all day.

I feel like this is a softball question as the ceramics #1 advantage is how they cook in different weather conditions. They are 100% insulation so temp hikes, drops, rain, snow, wind etc don't do anything to these cookers. The only thing that could happen is if the wind is blowing directly into the lower vent causing the fire to get hotter. If you want to get around that buy a guru.

Where did you get the mod for your chimney?

Mine has survived for 6 years mostly uncovered. The original cover died after a year or two and it's been uncovered ever since. Cold weather cooks? No problem...

Here's blizzard ribs. It took me a bit to dig out to the egg, but worth it later that night after shoveling all day.

I do not live in such extreme weather as you do. However living close to the ocean, salinity was a major concern for me. The Kamado Joe comes with stainless steel hardware and the metal parts are powder coated cast iron. I keep both my kamados out in the elements and have no rust/corrosion issues on either one.

Where did you get the mod for your chimney?

It's a 6" chimney cap I picked up from Home Depot, for around $8. It fits snugly enough right over the daisy wheel cap that you can raise the top and it stays put. You just have to remove the wire handle.

I've cooked in all kinds of weather. Pop up thunderstorms are no problem anymore, if there's any chance of rain I just put it on.

fred

I live in Nebraska where it is below zero and above 100 over the course of the year. I really don't notice a difference in the performance of my KJ any time of the year. It is a champ in the cold and love how I can leave it alone in the cold and/or snow and it runs beautifully.

I would recommend it to anyone!

Here in Minnesota, the KJ was a smart purchase on my part. I NEVER have temp issues, especially if I am doing a brisket in the middle of a blizzard ;)

Back