BBQ adversity...

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Man, it'll be a miracle if these butts ever get finished. I'm cooking six butts on the big WSM for a church dinner tonight. Last night, I loaded up the WSM with a mixture of KBB, RO lump and pecan chunks before I went to bed. Put the cover on the thing because the TV weather bimbo said there was a "slight" chance of rain, which usually means not even a decent dew around here. Woke up at 2:30 to the sound of a raging severe thunderstorm with monster winds and a bit of hail. Didn't last long, so I went back to bed until 4:30. Walked outside to feed the critters and found the WSM blown over and the charcoal ring contents spilled in the wet grass. Picked the thing up, cleaned out and disposed of the wet charcoal, moved the whole shootin' match into the mouth of the garage door to get out of the wind and rain, which had returned by then. Refueled and lit the chimney starter inside one of my small grills and went inside to make coffee. Came back out 30 minutes later to find that the fire starter I put under the chimney had gone out. Finally got the WSM going and plugged in the IQUE110, which promptly stuck in "open lid" mode (after three perfect cooks in a row). It's 10:00 and the IT probe says the meat is hitting 100. I should still have time to finish by 4:30 when I need to start for the church to pull and serve. I hope. :doh:

Sounds like a good day for hot & fast! Good luck man!

Once you get enough smoke and/or the right color, foil will speed them up. You can also cook them at 300F or so in the WSM or even the oven if necessary.

Crank the puppy up! 300F if you can... Down the road think about a Maverick ET-732. Then you'll know when you're pit is acting up. Cheers, and Good Luck!!!!

Ugh! Once you get them to 160, I would foil and move them to the oven if you're really concerned about finishing them in time. Once they've taken all the smoke they can, there's no need to stress yourself out on the smoker (especially if the weather remains poor).

agree that the bimbo saying there is a chance of rain and not happening, god bless TX for sure!

sometimes i have to hot and fast my butts, i even hit temps of 350+ to finish it out.

wrap at 140 and move to the oven if you want/can

Currently at 159 so I'm shooting for foiling at 12:00. So far, I've only been able to maintain about 265 in the cooker due to wind and cool temps. I'm gonna give them until about 2:00 and see where we are. If we're not close, they're going in the oven at 300 until they probe.

...and so, it continues. This cook is absolutely cursed. I went out and pulled the butts off the top rack to foil and my Thermapen is broken! I had to go get my spousal unit's pink one out of her drawer in the kitchen. Anybody know what the warranty is on a brown Thermapen? When you turn it on, it comes on at 435 and starts counting up until it reads "HI" and turns itself off. I took the batteries out and put them back in and it didn't change anything. Hope I can find the paperwork. :doh:

Here is the problem you now have. These butts will end up being the best you have ever done. You will have to repeat this process every time you cook butts from now on. Hogontheground Day instead of Groundhog day.

Seriously though, relax and worry about the brown Thermapen in a couple of days. Things are going to all work out.

Here is the problem you now have. These butts will end up being the best you have ever done. You will have to repeat this process every time you cook butts from now on. Hogontheground Day instead of Groundhog day.

Seriously though, relax and worry about the brown Thermapen in a couple of days. Things are going to all work out.

im with you, the best butts i have done were ones that had a bad stall and i was thinking this is the end and nothing was going right.

Back