Easy Homemade Cold Smoke Generator with Pron

This was designed by a guy on another site back in 2010. Good write up on his efforts. Google cold smoking with pellets and a strainer

Any ideas on how to source/make the sawdust?

I buy it online. I'm in the UK so not sure if I post the link it'll be of any help.

Maybe do a Google search or have a ring round some furniture makers? As long as they can guarantee what the sawdust is and that it is free from nasty stuff like MDF or softwood then you're good to go.

This was designed by a guy on another site back in 2010. Good write up on his efforts. Google cold smoking with pellets and a strainer

Ahhh, right, I thought the original inventors post was on here...that's probably why I couldn't find it!

Yeah, I have no claim that this was my idea at all, I just remembered reading / seeing it somewhere and finally got round to doing it (after d*cking about with other CSGs) and I thought I'd post up some pics so hopefully it'll help someone else out :grin:

So I tried it with sawdust (hickory) and it fizzled out after 5 minutes. I'm going to try it with "wood shreds" and see what happens.

here my first trial run with the large rectangular sieve basket..

started it at 1:30 PM with apple shreds to smoke some salmon and was still smoking at 10 PM with some shreds left over..:laugh:

(this was with the Apple dust I ordered from Alliedkenco)

HPIM5517r.JPG

HPIM5519r.JPG

Last edited:
Cool! I have one of those rectangular ones. Well, actually the wife has one... maybe not for much longer?:twisted: i will probably try it with pellets though, since those are easier to get than sawdust (for me at least).

Cool! I have one of those rectangular ones. Well, actually the wife has one... maybe not for much longer?:twisted: i will probably try it with pellets though, since those are easier to get than sawdust (for me at least).

I was going to use her round sieve to try it out ... luckily she told me to get lost and get my own... that's how I ran into the rectangular, larger one...

when I get my sausage making supplies I sometimes order some 5 or 10 lbs bags of hickory and apple sawdust with it at

http://www.alliedkenco.com/index.aspx

right here in Houston!!

Allied Kenco Sales
26 Lyerly St.
Houston, Texas 77022

Last edited:
So I tried it with sawdust (hickory) and it fizzled out after 5 minutes. I'm going to try it with "wood shreds" and see what happens.

Sorry to hear that Mate:sad:

Was the sawdust really compacted into it? Maybe if it's too compacted it might not smoulder too well??
Was there any draft?
Was the sawdust well alight before you took the tealight away?

I had mine go out after a few mins once but that was because I took the tealight out before it had really got going...I re lit it and it went along quite nicely. Hope that helps?

Nice one Garnaal!

8.5hrs is some good going too! What's your smoker, it looks nice?

---------------------------
it a "cheapy" - Master Forge propane gas double door smoker...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130059

had a wood stick - side by side for years - it rusted out finally and got this one at Lowes here in Houston for ~ $150...
love it - set and forget -
instead of baby-ing the wood burner all the time for long smoke runs....

use it now, since I bought that sieve, for both - hot- and cold -smoking :laugh:

Was the sawdust really compacted into it? Maybe if it's too compacted it might not smoulder too well??
Was there any draft?

I had mine go out after a few mins once but that was because I took the tealight out before it had really got going...I re lit it and it went along quite nicely. Hope that helps?

-----

same here, the first time I lit it - - and I did not really heavily pack the dust.. you have to make sure the stuff is smouldering well - have about 3/4 to 1 linear inch of the wood dust going ,,, like I said I got more than 8 1/2 hours of smoke coming out of mine without interruption.....

Sweet! I'm saving up for an Egg at the mo. I want a pretty much "Load'n'Leave" cooker but don't fancy a pellet pooper or a Bradley (which are the only real other options over here).

Anyway, back on topic....I've just ordered 30kgs of "fine" oak sawdust which should be here Thursday / Friday which is good timing as I have some pork loin steaks that'll finish curing by the w/end so i can try this "fine" dust in the sieve.

If it doesn't work I guess I need to find a way to extrude the dust into pellets!

Was there any draft?

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Not sure.

Methinks I must try this again when I get home.

I will use half sawdust on one end, and shreds on the other.

Thank you for the help!

Last edited:
Hey Smokinjohn,

Maybe try mixing the real fine dust with some of the shards and loosly filling the sieve...I just scoop up some out of the bag with the sieve, flatten off and even the dust out then dump out a couple of inches so I have the start and finish points.

As your draft is OK, I'm guessing that maybe it was a combination of the dust being really compacted and maybe not being lit enough (good English there!) or even the dust was slightly damp...not enough to feel damp but enough to stop combustion? But give it another whirl and hopefully it'll all work out for you :grin:

I had a problem with getting the sawdust to smolder at first. My problem was that I tried to light it with a torch from the top. That starts alright but quits after a few minutes. What worked was lighting it from the bottom through the screen. (sort of makes sense- heat rises) I was using a A-MAZE-N pellet smoker but it should be the same for this great idea.

I had a problem with getting the sawdust to smolder at first. My problem was that I tried to light it with a torch from the top. That starts alright but quits after a few minutes. What worked was lighting it from the bottom through the screen. (sort of makes sense- heat rises) I was using a A-MAZE-N pellet smoker but it should be the same for this great idea.

Yep, light from underneath, through the mesh :wink:

Back