UDS Lid help

biggs98

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Any idea how to get the lid off cleanly??? Previous drums I had they took it off for me and rolled the top of the drum. Any help is always appreciated.

Carefully grind on the top of that lip. The top will fall in the drum. Use a angle grinder and a soft disc. Matter of fact somebody just posted pictures of these discs yesterday, I believe. There are several ways to do this, but this is my preferred method.

I used an old wood chisel to cut the top. Took about 10 minutes and used an angle grinder to smooth out the edges.

P1060055.jpg

I used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade the I laid the drum on its side over a piece of carpet and took a hammer to fold the lip flat. It worked well and didn't take long.

3/4" cold chisel and hammer works great, and is pretty fast. Just remember to wear ear protection, it gets loud.

Use it like a can opener, slightly angle chisel so it's not punching through but cutting, and angle the chisel blade towards outside of drum to get as close a cut as possible.

I used my sawzall and cut right up against the lip, then broke the sharp edges with my angle grinder. Took about 10 min in all. It actually took me longer taking out my tools and setting up than the work did.

Thx fellas.... If I cut it from the top, how am I going to be able to use the lid???

This is how i did it. My english is a bit rusty but i`ll try to explain. This took me a while (about 30 minutes) but had a nice result. The lid of my barrel was curved around the cilinderend of the barrel . So i used my angle grinder with a fairly rough flap disc to grind off just a mm orso (sorry idk inches) from that `curve` at the side of the barrel.(just the lid layer) The lid came off clean and a perfecly flat barrelcilindertop remained. Carefull! The lid has razor sharp edges when it comes of.

This is how i did it. My english is a bit rusty but i`ll try to explain. This took me a while (about 30 minutes) but had a nice result. The lid of my barrel was curved around the cilinderend of the barrel . So i used my angle grinder with a fairly rough flap disc to grind off just a mm orso (sorry idk inches) from that `curve` at the side of the barrel.(just the lid layer) The lid came off clean and a perfecly flat barrelcilindertop remained. Carefull! The lid has razor sharp edges when it comes of.

Yeah I've done the same thing too. And no kidding the edge is like a razor! But it will work.

Swamp, I've been eyeballing my kettle bottom everytime I walk past it. Especially seeing as how I've got massive amounts of grease leaking down my closed top drum. What would you suggest cutting it with? Jig saw?

Swamp, I've been eyeballing my kettle bottom everytime I walk past it. Especially seeing as how I've got massive amounts of greasing leaking down my closed top drum. What would you suggest cutting it with? Jig saw?

Rotary cut off wheel!

• Thanks
Reactions: jrn
Joe, did you get the drums from ronkonkoma on Craigslist now? Says that have the open tops with the ring. $30 a drum if you didn't know about it.

Joe, did you get the drums from ronkonkoma on Craigslist now? Says that have the open tops with the ring. $30 a drum if you didn't know about it.

No I picked this one up on eBay....it's stainless steel. Thanks for the heads up I'm going to search for that now. :clap2:

Another note: If youre using a drum that is not brand new, DO NOT go at it with a grinder. Keep it with a jigsaw or something that does generate sparks and rememer to take breaks in cutting so it doesnt build up heat.

Back